Torsion axle

MRS

Commander
OK time to fix axle have been running to locale like on my bad axle since last May. Was thinking of going to a torsion axle this time old axle is 3 1/2 drop but I do need to raise boat away from tires so if I go with a straight torsion axle will it raise the boat from the tires 3 1/2" or will it be higher? Axle now is on top of springs and I will weigh boat and trailer first before buying axle. I like the idea of axle mounting right to the trailer should stiffen up the trailer alittle bit. Thanks once again for any help...

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Torsion axle

OK time to fix axle have been running to locale like on my bad axle since last May. Was thinking of going to a torsion axle this time old axle is 3 1/2 drop but I do need to raise boat away from frame so if I go with a straight torsion axle will it raise the boat from the frame 3 1/2" or will it be higher? Axle now is on top of springs and I will weigh boat and trailer first before buying axle. I like the idea of axle mounting right to the trailer should stiffen up the trailer alittle bit. Thanks once again for any help...

How would adding a straight axle versus a drop axle going to effect height diff between boat and trailer. Doesn't your boat sit on bunks or rollers. Are the brkts for the bunks or rollers not mounted on a cross member?

MRS

Commander

How would adding a straight axle versus a drop axle going to effect height diff between boat and trailer. Doesn't your boat sit on bunks or rollers. Are the brkts for the bunks or rollers not mounted on a cross member?

Sorry I mean't tires not frame, any how I need the room between the boat and tires to fit fenders correctly. So I do need to raise trailer.

MRS

Commander

wvstriper, Thanks they have a shop about 35 miles from my house. How long you had them and do you like the ride? This is my second axle I am getting tired of messing with the leafs and bent axles might be what I am looking for.

wvstriper

Seaman Apprentice

webhur.jpg

I've had the trailer since 2006. I like the ride; it's smooth and doesn't bounce.

MRS

Commander

Thanks I like your setup I think that is going to be the axle for me. I make a run to Havasu about 2 hundred miles from the house quite a few times every year and the road is not the smoothest road and beats the heck out of my axle Q.C. will know what I mean. Plus I do have to start slowing down a little also I am going to weigh the boat and trailer tomorrow to make sure I get the right axle for my setup Thanks for the reply. Time to get after them Stripers...:fish2:

MRS

Commander

Wow just weighed boat and trailer #3900 way more than I thought. So now the search for the right axle begins I have gone thru two #3500 axles and now I know why.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good news, I suspect if there is any, is I believe by going with a torsion axle, you can order a second and go with Tandem axles. It will just take some cutting to remove the old leaf spring mounts. That is an option?

MRS

Commander

Good news, I suspect if there is any, is I believe by going with a torsion axle, you can order a second and go with Tandem axles. It will just take some cutting to remove the old leaf spring mounts. That is an option?

Possible not sure what to do yet. I found a single axle 4250# and leafs at 2250 that will equal 4500# would like to find 2000# springs I think that would be what I need or would the 4500# total be better?
If I did go with the torsions and make it a tandem that would be two 2000# axles? Just want to make sure the trailer will handle the weight Thanks for the replies.

MRS

Commander

Just talked to axle shop they said I could go with the thick walled 3500# axle and the 1750# springs? If I go this way I would think the 2000# springs would be better and will probably go with this total weight is 3900#s boat and trailer. The torsion axle was 3750#. I could go with bigger axle but then have to go to a 6 lug wheel want to stay with the 5 lug what do you think?