Torque Prop Questions - Bondo Help???

boilerjunkie

Cadet
Hey guys (and especially Bondo),<br /><br />Need some help setting up a new Land-and-Sea Torque Prop. Got a steal on one($150) from someone who didn't know what they had (or didn't like it). Either way, its mine now and I need to know what to do first.<br /><br />I have a 1988 23' Chris Craft Limited with a 305 V8 Alpha 1 Outdrive. What should be my first course of action? I was wondering do I need to take it apart to inspect everything and maintain it first? If so, what do I need to do? (or do you have any pics available to describe the process of maintaining/setting up the prop).<br /><br />Anyones help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Torque Prop Questions - Bondo Help???

I guess you Didn't get a Manual with it,........<br /><br />There used to be alot more Info over Here,.. At L&S,...... <br />I've heard that if you email them,.. They'll let you into their computer banks,+ Copy some of the Info You Need..........<br /><br />Have a look around,+ See if you need any more help,......<br /><br />It would hurt a thing to take it apart,+ See how it Works,....... <br />
What should be my first course of action?
Run the Adjusting Screws In, til their Flush with the hub body,....... This'll give you about 19/20"s of Pitch,...... <br />Take it out,+ Run It,.... <br />Turning the Screws In,.. Reduces Pitch,.....<br />Turning the Out,.. Increases Pitch,........<br />Play with it til you get it Right,......<br />Just make Sure the screws are adjusted Evenly,........Same on All 3 Screws......... ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have a .pdf of the Owner's Manual. Post an email addy and I will send it to you . . .

Bondo

Staff member

Hey,........ I put My papper copy away,... Where it Couldn't get Lost,.............<br />It was a Real Safe Place,............................I just Don't Remember Where that Is................ :rolleyes: <br /><br />I wouldn't mind a pdf,.. or maybe that'll be pfd....... :D <br /><br /> Thanks....

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Bondo:<br />Try me at whatever........... Thanks....
As long as I got the code right, should be in the inbox . . .

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,............<br /><br />It's There,...........<br /><br />Thank You.............

boilerjunkie

Cadet

Last night, I tore the prop down. It is very simple to do and the prop also looks simple in its function. I did notice that the "bearing" for the blade shanks had alot of wear(the black lining was worn off and deformed alot). How do I go about changing these things out? Also, I think I have the regular hub(not the rubber hub) model. Do I need the thin locking prop nut or can I just use my normal hardware?

QC

Supreme Mariner

boilerjunkie (I was going to shorten to BJ, but it didn't seem right :D ),<br /><br />Should be in your inbox. You can delete that addy now . . .

boilerjunkie

Cadet

I have another question. I just called Land & Sea and they don't have any parts for the props any more(I need to the blade shank bearings). They said they are not going to have any parts for the prop in the future either.<br /><br />Does anyone have another source for these parts?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I would just keep searching Ebay. Some pretty obscure stiuff comes up there. Bondo probably has a whole garage full of Torque-Shift stuff just to keep him going 'til he hits the century mark . . . :D

Bondo

Staff member

I've got Only 2 Spares,............. <br /><br />And,..... You're Right,............ I'm Hoarding My Parts....... :D <br />The website Says it'll be going back into production...... That S-cks that they're not supporting it with parts......... :( <br /><br />Ayuh,.... The Solid Hubs use the Short Nut,.....<br />I've made my own by cutting a Regular Brass Ny-lock Nut,.. In 1/2............. ;)

boilerjunkie

Cadet

Bondo,<br /><br />I asked Jeff at Land and Sea for dimensions on the blade shank bearing. He hasn't let me know anything back yet.<br /><br />Can you mic your spare parts and give me the ID,OD and length of the bearing?? I have a machine shop at my disposal and talked with some of the machinist about making a bearing out of teflon or brass? any other ideas on what it could be made out of?<br /><br />thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by boilerjunkie:<br /> Bondo,<br /><br />I asked Jeff at Land and Sea for dimensions on the blade shank bearing. He hasn't let me know anything back yet.<br /><br />Can you mic your spare parts and give me the ID,OD and length of the bearing?? I have a machine shop at my disposal and talked with some of the machinist about making a bearing out of teflon or brass? any other ideas on what it could be made out of?<br /><br />thanks.
You Betcha................. Especially if I somehow had access to a couple of Copies of Your Experimental Parts,......... :D <br /><br />I'll have to roundup my inside,+ outside calipers,...... <br />I should have Near New copies here to mic up for you,..........<br />I Might even be convinced to Loan you 1 for some reverse engineering................ ;) <br /><br />Let me look at what I've got here this weekend,+ I'll get back to you with it.......<br />My email addy is Still posted in QT's quote,...... You can figure out the code( :p ),+ send me a note...........<br /><br /><br />BTW,....... Quietcat,........ Could you edit out My email addy,....... Just in case Somebody/Thing,.. Also figures out the Code,...??.. Thanks.......

QC

Supreme Mariner

Roger.

boilerjunkie

Cadet

Ran the prop this weekend. Man is this thing is bada**...........<br /><br />I only got about 3900-4000 WOT. I think it has W cams in it with the pitch screw adjusted evenly with the hub. What should I try next to get to 4200-4400 WOT???<br /><br />Also, Bondo, I am still wanted to see if I could get the dimensions from your spare blade shank bearings..........<br /><br />thanks for all of your help.