Torque for outdrive bolts

Heller1

Seaman Apprentice
2005 Volvo sx outdrive. what are the torque specs for the bolts reattaching the outdrive? Any help is greatly appreciated!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Torque for outdrive bolts

50 ft lbs hits the memory, and the book says not to reuse the nuts, Ill reuse them once.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Assuming they didn't change it since my year:<br /><br />25 then 50 lbs.. But you have to follow this pattern, and make sure you use new locknuts<br /><br />6 3<br />2 1<br />4 5<br /><br />-Mike

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I am curious about the reuse of these nuts. Sure seems like you can use them more than one time. Has anyone seen one of these come loose if they are reused?

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

they are cheap compared to testing the theory ;) <br /><br />What's 10 bucks once a season for an OD pull? <br /><br />I just put my drive on a week ago and had to pull it off this week to re-seat the raw water seal. I considered using them again, but since I had another set in hand it was a no brain-er. I played with week old one use ones compared to the new ones and there was a big difference in how tight they were. Even if there is no danger of the drive coming off, which I doubt there is, it's more important to maintain the seal on your bellows and raw water. That's also what the torque is about.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As long as the "Lock" part of the nut is ok, and it takes a wrench to thread it on, I NEVER change them, and have never had one come loose when they are torqued down correctly.<br />Don't ever remember seeing anything in the service manual about replacing them, I know there is nothing in the newest SX service manual about replacing them, I looked.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Don S:<br /> Don't ever remember seeing anything in the service manual about replacing them, I know there is nothing in the newest SX service manual about replacing them, I looked.
REALLY Don?? Now you are going to make me dig it up. Maybe it was a Seloc manual (since I just got my OEM's), BUT it CLEARLY stated in one of the manuals I have "NEVER reuse them."<br /><br />Now that said, experieince is more prudent, and as you pointed out in another post about an impeller housing, why buy unesssary parts. If you say they can be reused that's good enoguh for me. Then again some parts are cheap and others aren't.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

OK.. I'll give Don this one on a technicality. Since we know that if you have an OEM manual in hand you should use that over any Seloc and God forbid a Clymers, he's right. The OEM doesn't say ANYTHING about reusing the bolts. That means you could read that a few ways but they defintily don't tell you to replace them.<br /><br />But, in my defense (and boy I don't get to attempt locking horns with Don too often ;) ) page 9-26 of the Seloc manual has in big bold letters:<br />"NEVER attempt to use the old locknuts." And it goes on to explain these nuts are meant to be used once yada yada yada..<br /><br />But following protocol, if you have an OEM manual in hand you'd never read that :))))))))<br /><br />-M

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Seloc :confused: :confused: Will you NEVER learn ???? :rolleyes: :p :D

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

What about me haven't you figured out yet? ;)

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

What about me haven't you figured out yet? ;)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

actually its in the general shop practices handbook, however I will reuse them once if they are not badly worn.<br /> look at page 7-3 step 9 in manual 3850075 for vertical drive removal on WT models and you will find your answer.

Bsturkie

Seaman

What's 10 bucks once a season for an OD pull? <br />
You guys pull your outdrives every season? Not every couple of years? Holy lord! I'm going to design a boat thet runs off the earths magnetics so we can by-pass the issues...Ha Ha

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

You gotta pull it every season!!!! How else can you get the bellows off to keep it inside the house where it's warm?<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />M