Top ten outrageous taxes

spratt

Lieutenant
Top 10 Outrageous Taxes<br />Freedom Works has issued its list of the Top 10 Outrageous Taxes: <br /><br />As Benjamin Franklin so eloquently put it over 200 years ago "nothing in this world is certain except death and taxes." This is truer today than ever before. Every year, from the federal government to all 50 states, the tax code becomes increasingly complex with the current tax code reading like hieroglyphs before the discovery of the Rosetta stone. While the taxes of Franklin’s day were certainly unpopular, it is safe to say they were not quite as bizarre as some of the levies in place today. Many of these taxes target specific industries or products—that’s just unfair, unreasonable, and in some cases just plain odd. So, without further ado, the fine folks at FreedomWorks are proud to present to you our top 10 most bizarre taxes currently on the books:<br /><br />10. The Amusement Tax (Most States)<br /><br />9. Fountain Soda Drink Tax (Illinois)<br /><br />8. Fur Tax (Minnesota)<br /><br />7. Take-Out Tax (Chicago, Washington, D.C.)<br /><br />6. Blueberry Tax (Maine)<br /><br />5. Playing Card Tax (Alabama)<br /><br />4. Sparkler and Novelties Tax (West Virginia)<br /><br />3. Jock Tax (Many States)<br /><br />2. Facial Hair Tax (Massachusetts)<br /><br />1. Illegal Drug Tax (Alabama, North Carolina, Nevada)<br /><br />November 16, 2004 in Think Tank Reports | Permalink <br /><br /> http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2004/11/top_10_outrageo.html

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Top ten outrageous taxes

The more representation we elect, the more taxes we absorb. Is there not a sin tax in Nevada or NJ for gambling? I may be wrong. Have you looked at a phone bill lately? The tax categories take 1/2 page, and growning. :mad:

spratt

Lieutenant

The tax that eats me the most is the whole bundle that is applied to every gallon of petroleum that goes into my pickup!!!!!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by spratt:<br /> The tax that eats me the most is the whole bundle that is applied to every gallon of petroleum that goes into my pickup!!!!!
Indiana suspended the gas tax briefly in 2002. When they re-issued it they took less than 30 days to vote for a increase of $.03 over two years. Now they have a new bill to yet repeat the last one. Cigarettes is a real paradox as well. They continue to believe that increasing the tax will make us quit. ????? If that is true someone needs to explain how they balance the budget when we all quit and the revenue evaporates? Maybe an appropriate tax on TOILET PAPER. Theres one nobody can plan to simply quit.<br /> :confused:

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

LOL NY,<br />We would just find a substitute. Kleenex might end up cheaper!! Just make sure you get the kind with the soothing lotion. :D <br /><br />AK Chappy

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

It might be easier to list what isn't taxed.

phatmanmike

Captain

did you know in york county, pennsylvania...its illegal to roll an egg up a hill, or to have intercourse on sunday!!!!!!!

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

The illegal drug tax goes with the drug tax stamp we have here. It is just a way for the government to take everything the dopers own. It says that by selling dope they are collecting an income and not paying tax on it. A lot of stamp collectors have these stamps. We have even seized a few loads that actually have the stamp on them. This really iritates the local IRS agent. Cuts them out of the deal.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Here is a list from Indiana:
Hey, NY, wanna post that again? And this time? Quit worrying about the toilet paper and put the link in the post!!!! OK?<br /><br />Besided, the only tax that would really matter, to EVERYONE, is when they tax the air we breathe...or do they somehow already do that?

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by phatmanmike:<br /> did you know in york county, pennsylvania...its illegal to roll an egg up a hill, or to have intercourse on sunday!!!!!!!
I guess it is a good thing you live in Florida, huh, phatman? But I ain't saying which of those vices I think would be more important to ya' :D

Kenneth Brown

Captain

We had the tax stamp on dope here in Texas. A guy got arrested with close to 100 pounds. As soon as he could he paid taxes on it. The court decided that if the govt could tax it then it should not be illegal and he got off. Next legislature they repealed the tax. I think to ole boy was pretty smart.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

they left one out .. I believe its #1a ....<br /><br /><br />-1a. Breathing tax (Wisconsin)<br /><br /> :rolleyes: