Top Gear

eeboater

Commander
Has anyone watched Top Gear? It is on the Discovery Channel for all your "Yanks" but for the people in the UK it appears to be on BBC.<br /><br />Anyway, I watched an episode last night that had a summary of their attempt to destroy an 80's Toyota Helix (aka Toyota Pickup in the USA). <br /><br />I have to say, I'm stunned. They beat the living crap out of this truck from sticking it into the OCEAN for a night to resting it on top of a 17 story (I think) building as it is detonated and demolished!!!<br /><br />In the end, the truck ran AND it was driveable. Sure, it wasn't ready for highway traffic. But the mere fact that it could provide forward motion as well as steering capabily is VERY impressive. <br /><br />Oh, and did I mention that the mechanic that worked on the truck after each attempt to destroy the truck could not use ANY replacement parts and was forced to use a simple and limited set of mechanics tools.<br /><br />I have to say, I have a new-found level of admiration for the Toyotas Pickups.<br /><br />Here's a link to the video on the attempted-destruction of the pickup. It requires RealPlayer.<br /><br /> http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloads/hilux_broadband.ram <br /><br />Sean

D

DJ

Re: Top Gear

I watched it. It's important to know that it was a diesel-a non electronic one at that. No gasoline engine (wiring) would have survived the salt water bath.<br /><br />The frame was snapped in half. Not good.<br /><br />I've seen trucks beat up far worse than that in mines.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

That particular episode was shown about 2 yrs ago here in the UK, keep watching you are in for some great shows, you wait till you see what happens to a caravan towed at 140mph.<br /><br />One of the best shows on TV :) :)

ehenry

Commander

Toyota makes a good truck. I can't complain. I've got an 86 model 4x4 that I bought new and still have. Its got over 300k on it and still chuggin up and down the road. At the present time the only thing thats wrong with the truck is the A/C evaporator core sprung a leak and needs replacing. The dadburn evaporator cast $185.00. While I'm in there I magiht at well replace the expansion valve too.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

top gear is ace the toyota article was unbelieveable nothing else would have put up with that punishment ps the latest show is on the ford F150 pick up they dont like it!!