Toon Furniture Questions

redneck_yacht

Recruit
We just bought an old (77?) 20' Play craft last summer. I redecked and carpeted it, and we cruised every weekend until December (not bad for South Dakota). Now down for winter I'm planning next year's upgrades. It currently only has one fixed seat for the driver, we've had 8 aboard on camp chairs.
We're running on a shoestring. I've got only about $1200 invested so far, and take pride in "less is more" engineering. I want to build some fixed seating and considering two construction methods. I'm thinking about PVC pipe frames, with either sling seats like a C130, or as a lower frame with plywood/foam/vinyl cushions fabbed locally. Thoughts and Criticism?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Moved this to it's own topic.

The C-130 sling seats will probably not last very long. Either the PVC tubing will break or the stitching will rip out as butts bounce . I think your seat base with cushions is a better idea.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
How long do you want these seats to last? Regular plywood won't weather well. Marine plywood can be expensive and hard to get. You'll need vinyl that stands up to UV for outdoor use. .... Are the seats just for sitting, or for lounging and sun bathing too? Are you operating on a small lake with few large waves, or in an open area where passengers might bounce around a lot? ... There's a lot to think about.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
plywood treated with Woodonglass 's old timers preservative will last many decades. then again, plywood painted with oil based paint would also last a decade

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Here's the Old Timers Recipe in case you're interested.

OTWS.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure what you are really looking for, but seating built to offer quality seating AND underneath storage would serve a two fold purpose. I would build them out of exterior grade plywoods waterproofed by one of several means and install stainless steel hinges and then nice seat customs. Then you have storage and great seating as well. If they are able to drain water off and out of the storage areas, they are not going to rot any time soon. JMHO!

southkogs

Staff member
... no comment on the build side of it, these guys are MUCH better at that than I am.

BUT I will say, a good stock of plastic deck chairs make for very nice reconfigurable deck seating on a 'toon. We did it that way with folding chairs for years on an old early 70s Crest we had. It was nice 'cause we could clear the deck for fishing when we wanted a casting platform.

Welcome aboard.

ahicks

Captain
I'd build a seat across the back, but it would be more about a place to put "stuff" and blocking engine noise than anything else. Then I'd use stackable plastic Adirondack chairs. They're light, comfortable, have a wide foot print, and a low center of gravity so they're pretty stable. Not easily knocked around.

redneck_yacht

Recruit
Thanks all for the input, I will give it all some thought while it gets warm enough to work outside. I'm still liking 1 1/2" PVC for the framing, 1/4" PVC sheet for the base panels, and plywood/foam/vinyl cushions. As ahicks suggested, a bench across the back, and partway up the port side fence. I also like the Adirondack chairs, we've collapsed a couple AL framed chairs we inherited from my inlaws

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was in a similar situation years ago with my first boat and in the end we just had a blast sitting on coolers and camping chairs and then stepped it up to another boat after a couple of years. That's when I developed my belief that the more weight you pack on with seats, the fewer coolers and people you can fit! I did enjoy dreaming of what I wanted to do with the boat that first winter though.

I'm in the opposite spot right now. We still have the pontoon which I share with my dad but my dad isn't wanting to put any work or money into it and I'm not going to do it myself... and since I also wanted something just mine, I spent a nice chunk of change on a ski boat that needs absolutely nothing. That kind of depresses me. Other than just going to look at it in the warehouse I have it stored in for the winter there is just nothing at all to do. Buying in December was a mixed blessing. Got a great deal on way more than I even thought I could find in my price range but at the same time I have to wait four or five months to get it out for the first time.