took stren off to see where the wires were going

sdglover

Cadet
1967 Evenrude stren drive, Power is going down in the stren. I took the stren off to see where the wires were going. Magnets right? How can I check to see if they are working. How would I hook up the wires, and the tell if it is working or not. I checked both wires before took I off. In reverse one wire was hot, and in forward the other was hot. But wouldn't go in gear.Please HELP!<br /><br />
16'sportsman.jpg
<br /><br />------------------<br />sdglover@cox-internet.com

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: took stren off to see where the wires were going

Hi Stglover,<br />The electro-magnets could be shorted. Check for a short with a VOM.<br /><br />corm

sdglover

Cadet

I did check and power is going to the magnets. With a VOM what should it read?<br />If the are shorted how do you replace or fix them?<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />sdglover@cox-internet.com

sdglover

Cadet

Originally posted by corm:<br />Hi Stglover,<br />The electro-magnets could be shorted. Check for a short with a VOM.<br />corm
<br /><br />Corm You are right. When I took the stren off and drained the oil, it was sludge thick milky white. Some how water had mixed with the oil. Do you think that is what was causing the short? <br />After draining it, what can I use to clean and flush all that gunk out?<br />What should I check to see how the water got in. REMEMBER when I bought the boat the guy told me that it wouldn't go in gear, so I have never ran it. But have to figure out now how the water got in.<br />THANX Stan;<br /><br />------------------<br />sdglover@cox-internet.com

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Stan,<br />Most likly it came through one of the shaft seals. You can do a pressure and a va***e<br />test to see which is leaking.( about 14-15 lbs).<br />good luck<br />corm

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That would be vacuum test for air leaks.hehe<br />the board must have an internal spellchecker.<br /><br />corm