Took my chances S.O.L

So as I mentioned today was the Day I was going to take my bargain 1992 Four Winns 200 Horizon boat to the lake, got to the ramp, as soon as Unit hit water started the key and it purred like a kitten a 351. Give it a little gas the water starts bubbly and its that awsome feeling. Put it into gear and here is where its like Krap. The proppeler spinned but the boat would barely move, give it a little more gas and nothing. So i get barely back to the ramp again and out it goes. I kind of assumed that was going to happen. Deal was to good to be true and was expecting such. Thats why I had been all week asking about swapping the drive.

So reality is here, now I have to start looking what to do with it. I am hoping its nothing major and I will give this OMC drive a chance (!992 cone clutch) These are supposed to be a little heavir duty than the dog cluthces. What could it be, Have no clue. Worst case scenario I look for a new drive and it will not be an OMC. Best case scenario my boat works with a couple Hundred bucks. I had a $2,000 dollar buffer from what I should have paid for the boat. So I am not completely pissed off. Just want to see where I go from here.

What do you guys think?

1) I am willing to put up to $750 on this drive and leave it for a while.

2) Anything after $750 give or take $250 I am going to look for anythign compatible with that 351. If I swap it lets say I spend $1,500 on the swap and get some money from the parts off the OMC. This route I will be in the hole $1,000 with NON-OMC drive. Vs $1,000 bucks to fix and still have the OMC. I am inclining for this route but then again I am the Newbie.

Should the proppeler be completely loose (free) In other words when the boat is off. Should the proppeler spin freely?

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Noe

Re: Took my chances S.O.L

I have read that the shift cables on these go bad. Cannot remember if this problem was common 1992 before or after.

This might be my problem since when I give it gas nothing goes into gear?

Has anyone had this problem and what normally happens when this cable goes out?

I hope it is the cable, only runs 100 bucks.

Thanks

Noe

Last edited:

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

did you check to see if the prop hub was spun?

alien4fish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah if it goes into gear, and the prop IS spinning but barely and the spindle in the middle is hauling A$#@ you may have a spun hub, And No it should not be "Loose" the prop should "spin" freely when in nuetral but be securely attached to the shaft, and lock when you put it in gear.AND FOR GODSAKE DONT TRY AND DO ANY OF THIS WHILE THE MOTOR IS RUNNING! you can lock into gear with motor off. Just swap out the prop and try it agian, its sounds like you may have lucked out!
Good luck, Kevin

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do U feel lucky? hopefully it is just a spun hub.
If not,,, $$$

Thanks everyone, My hunch its the coupler. I really dont even feel it going into gear. Looking at some couplers. Not cheap.

What would be the symptoms if the **** cable where to go bad? Would it just be very hard to shift or will it not shift at all?

Thanks

Noe

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

Check prop hub first
These units do not like synthetic gear oil and must use hi-vis gear oil. Just a thought if drive has been filled with the wrong oil they may lose a gear. GOOD LUCK
Wayne

duke3478

Seaman

What would be the symptoms if the **** cable where to go bad? Would it just be very hard to shift or will it not shift at all?

There's not one exact symptom it will exhibit if the shift cable goes. The shift cable controls or affects several things that have to work together. One or all can be affected. But if you're getting prop spin, check the prop first. Like mentioned before, it either goes in gear or doesn't. With a cone clutch and no prop resistance, you may not 'feel' anything.

Spend a couple of your 2000 saved bucks and buy some 'muffs at Wal-Mart or your local boat $hop. Then you can check these kinds of things in the driveway rather than hauling to the ramp! Unless I just returned from the lake the night before, I never leave the driveway without firing up. It takes an extra five-seven minutes to know everything is good. Just make sure you take the 'muffs back off!

There's not one exact symptom it will exhibit if the shift cable goes. The shift cable controls or affects several things that have to work together. One or all can be affected. But if you're getting prop spin, check the prop first. Like mentioned before, it either goes in gear or doesn't. With a cone clutch and no prop resistance, you may not 'feel' anything.

Spend a couple of your 2000 saved bucks and buy some 'muffs at Wal-Mart or your local boat $hop. Then you can check these kinds of things in the driveway rather than hauling to the ramp! Unless I just returned from the lake the night before, I never leave the driveway without firing up. It takes an extra five-seven minutes to know everything is good. Just make sure you take the 'muffs back off!

Funny, I actually did have some Muffs and I did buy them at Wal-Mart. I would have never imagined that. I did, as mentioned propeller spinned when I put it in gear motor was fine. It was not until I needed power that it did not work.

What do you mean by cone clutch and no prop resistance I might not feel nothing?

Thanks

Noe

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hope it is a simple fix. like the hub for the prop. did it go into reverse when you wanted it to? I remember when I took my old OMC boat out for the first time. my heart dropped when I throttled up after a long taxi thru the canal to the lake. and no power or accelleration. thought the worst of course.. turned out to be sea weeds. quick shot of reverse and all was good. again hope yous is something easy/cheap to repair..be sure to download all the info you can for the do it yourself repair.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

The proppeler spinned but the boat would barely move, give it a little more gas and nothing

When you give it gas did the engine rev up?

If you are in gear, which you are since the prop is moving enough to move the boat, and you have throttle response but no speed increase... it sounds exactly like a spun prop hub. I wouldn't even worry about the rest of it until you check that prop.

When you give it gas did the engine rev up?

If you are in gear, which you are since the prop is moving enough to move the boat, and you have throttle response but no speed increase... it sounds exactly like a spun prop hub. I wouldn't even worry about the rest of it until you check that prop.

It does exactly that. I give it gas the engine revs up but the prop does not spin fast enough to increase my speed. The prop is also very dinged and chipped so maybe should replace that to while I am at it.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully its just that.

Noe

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

As indicated above, you have 2 or 3 possible things going on.....(not at the same time )

Spun prop hub. If you start it on the flush adapter (muffs) and have someone shift it into gear on the trailer while you look, you should see the prop abruptly start turning and maybe hear a clunk as it goes into gear. Try it in FWD and REV. (Make sure the drive is trimmed down before you start it.)

Spun drive coupler. Do the above and you may also notice that it turns although the prop may not abruptly start turning.

With the spun prop hub, you might be able to see that it's "spun" you could also spray some paint on the hub (to one side) to see if it moves... in the water. or find a spare prop and try it!

If it's a failed drive coupler, it's hard to tell unless you see rubber powder or aluminum powder in the back. (if it is, the drive MUST come off and the engine MUST be pulled)

Failed drive. This will require a drive rebuild. Not a cheap consideration for that one....... You have the "interim" cone clutch drive.

I don't think it has a LOT of (internal) parts commonality with the later "joint" Volvo Penta/OMC SX Drive...... They only made that drive for a few years and some parts may not even be available.

You could however, possibly put a Volvo/OMC SX (joint) or a later VP SX drive on the back. You'll have to do some research to determine if that works. It won't be cheap.

Your last possibility would be to find another (donor) boat with a suitable engine/drive (OMC/Volvo/Merc)

Good luck!

Rick