Took a chance on a bimini top off Craigslist, unsure of fit.

mklawz

Cadet
So I took a chance with on a bimini top from a guy on Craigslist. It was brand new, as it wasn't a good fit for the guy selling it. It's sized as a 73"-78", perfect!, as the mounting points on my '96 Sea Ray 175 is 76". However, it seems really odd the amount of force I have to push on mounting points of the bimini (the points that attach to the mounting brackets). Measured in it's laxed state, they are 90" apart. Is this normal??

If it doesn't work out, I figure I can sell it too. The guy said he was getting a bunch of hits and also saved their emails. But it was a good price so....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Took a chance on a bimini top off Craigslist, unsure of fit.

Usually you can flex the bows out when mounting a few inches if needed ;)

mklawz

Cadet

Sure a "few inches". But Im talking about 14". Anyone else with any input on whether or not this makes sense? Never put on a bimini before so I have no clue.

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 73"-78" Bimini also and just happen to have it off the boat here in the house. Mine measures 76" across in it's "laxed state". I'd say the one you have is larger than 73"-78".

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I never measured the bimini and enclosure I sold some years back, but I would not want to have that much flex into it. Did you try and mount it yet? You may have an issue lining up the mounting hardware with that much flex on it. Also what width is the actual bimini. It might look off if it tapers to 90" at the top, from 76" at the bottom.

emoney

Commander

I'm no bimini expert, but there's definitely not been 14" of difference in any I've owned. If you were talking about a 10' beamed boat, maybe, but in the 78" range is doesn't seem normal? That's a lot of pressure to be exerted on aluminum. You could always cut out some in the middle and resize it if it was that good of a deal. I'd say there's maybe 3-4" of play in the one I'm currently using and when you get near that point, you can feel the resistance. I assume you've not tried to install it?

mklawz

Cadet

the top width seems what it should be, about 76", depending on where it's measured. So that seems right. But it's the mounting ends that flex way out. Perhaps he assembled the poles incorrectly??

I haven't tried mounting it, per se. I've only held in up in place, with an assistant, and it really does take more force than you would think to get the ends into place.

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

about 76", depending on where it's measured.

Your seller tried to make the top fit a wider beam and bent the thing. Take the fabric off, take your time and bend it back to 90* ... ;)