Too stupid to change lower unit gear oil...

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up a quart of Merc lower unit gear oil and decided it would probally be a good thing to change it before I get my season underway. Unscrewed the 2 caps and nothing came out...OK...that can't be good? Tried squeezing some oil into the bottom hole and it just won't go in...am I missing something here...?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Too stupid to change lower unit gear oil...

Hope this will help.
scan0001-1.jpg

beamin1

Cadet

what motor? Small mercs have a small screw it's not a cap type... about 3 inches above the fill point, larger ones are like what Laddies posted....

Rip n Lips

Seaman Apprentice

It's a 75' merc 115. That is the processed that I followed, EXCEPT...I didn't have the engine tilted up. Was that the step I was forgeting? Would that have made a difference why the oil wouldn't have gone in...?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Maybe you have something blocking the fill hole. I think it is time to probe the hole with a wire

gss036

Commander

Well, just maybe some bright soul really put "GREASE" into the lower unit. Maybe try putting a low pressure air (blower adapater) into the top and put a "LITTLE" bit of ir pressure in to see if you can squeeze out some of the grease. Then, again, maybe there isn't anything in the lower unit, that would not be a good thing.