too rich too lean?

gateway

Seaman
I have a 1979 4 hp johnson seahorse. It has a rich and lean adjustment on the front. The more I lean it out the better it runs. the question is...can I lean this out too much that it damages the motor?<br />no4njnk

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: too rich too lean?

No it shoulnt hurt the engine. More oil to an outboard is better than no oil

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

The low speed mixture adjustment you have is to adjust "low speed" or idle mixture at...idle. If you can improve the idle quality by "leaning" the mixture or turning in the needle, fine. If it bucks and dies, it's too lean so turn it out slightly till it doesn't cough and die. OR if you try to accelerate from idle fast and it bogs, again richen it up slightly. If it's too lean, you will know. The motor just won't seem correct !!!

gateway

Seaman

Thanks PV I'll try that in the morning. Its just that I'll be tooling across the lake "WOT" and ill reach back and lean it out a little at a time, and the more I do the better it runs, It actually seems to increase rpm. thats why I thought I might be doing something I shouldnt.<br /><br />no4njnk

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, you are adjusting the high speed mixture. You are looking for the highest rpms you can get by turning the lower screw. You're doing it correctly.