too much throttle kills motor...

mr 88

Commander
Re: too much throttle kills motor...

I would start to use sierra E gard-stabil-sea foam or what ever anti Ethanol treatment is on the shelf at your local auto supply store.Then you will not have to worry about your carbs and fuel pump.

dethalis

Cadet

Get non ethanol fuel and run some fuel stabilizer in it to perserve the fuel and you shoulf be fine... ethanol eats all the rubber pices up like the fuel pump diaphram... it also attracts water... and ethanol fuel seperates causing it to act ad tho you have water in your fuel..

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Get non ethanol fuel and run some fuel stabilizer in it to perserve the fuel and you shoulf be fine... ethanol eats all the rubber pices up like the fuel pump diaphram... it also attracts water... and ethanol fuel seperates causing it to act ad tho you have water in your fuel..

More hype and scare than fact.

dethalis

Cadet

I work in the petroleum industry and work mainly with gas station equipment. Ethanol has a very negative effect on rubber and in gas pumps we repkace diaphrams on a pretty regular basis and its because the fuel deteriorates the rubber and causes it to come appart and make holes. Engines from the 80's even the early 90's were not meant to run on ethanol fuel. I noticed my 84 merc running much better on non ethanol...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Since the early 90's outboards have been designed to run on E-10, I live in one of the first states that required it, so for 20 plus years everything I own has been on a steady diet of it. Some of the very old motors do have some issues, that is until those parts are replaced with newer rebuild kits (these need to be good quality kits or you're right back in the same place). How do cars run on it for decades and have no issues with premature failure of rubber parts? (yes, I know the fuel systems can be different, but they all use rubber parts.)

Most of the small engines that have problems with it are made with junk fuel lines (made in XXXXX) and other rubber parts that should never be used around any type of fuel, so there is a reason for these failures.

The thought of E-10 related fuel issues never crosses my mind, and hasn't for a very long time, nor does it come up in conversations with other boaters around here. The more recent the transition to E-10 in a location the more horror stories you hear, and there is a reason for it, but E-10 is not the evil monster it's made out to be. Is it great stuff...no...is it the cause of every motor related problem that exists...no.

In some situations it can cause problems, I know this, but for 99% of the boaters on this site the real problems aren't something they run into.

Your 84 Merc "will" run better on E-0, it has more BTU's, so it will make more power.

dethalis

Cadet

Anything older than the early 90's and some of the earky 90's motors will run better on E-0 rather than E-10. Fuel Dispensers have been made ro dispense E-10 and higher and they still have issues with rubber diaphrams cracking and such...I think by leaving the motor with a little fuel that has stabilizer in it will help reduce gum build up but also perserve the ruber parts.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Stabilizers do nothing to prevent rubber parts from breaking down, they actually do very little to help with the possible issues related to E-10. They will tell you all day long that these products are desperately needed, but in reality they do very little to help.

Pulled the carbs off my 2005 Merc yesterday and they were spotless, same with my 1998 Evinrude and 1997 Merc, these motors see nothing but E-10 and never get any additives.

My small roto-tiller came new with fuel lines on it that dissolved over the first summer from using E-10, replaced them and it's been years of no issues. Many new items come with junk fuel lines and rubber parts, E-10 gets blamed, but any gas powered engine made in the last 20 years should have all the components ethanol resistant.

My experience in working on small engines and outboards goes back to the 60’s, we had just as many, or more, plugged carbs, fouled plugs, bad fuel lines, and others problems back then. There are some different issues now, but it isn’t as bad as the marketing people at the miracle in a bottle suppliers will lead you to believe.