Too much premix in the gas?

brokenboat

Seaman
I had a long thread some time back and it can be viewed by searching my name for those interested.<br /><br />I had the mechanic disconnect the VRO and just replace the fuel pump. I would go to premix. The gas tank is 20 gallons and it was 5/8 to 3/4 full. He added enough oil for 30 gallons of gasoline. He thinks that his employee who is no longer there may have done the same. Hence, there is oil for 60 gallons of gas conceivabley. The engine would not run. It did not want to shut off. Instead, it dieseled which is what I would expect. He saw smoke come through the flywheel holes. This is an OMC turbo jet 115. I have two questions.<br /><br />1. could the oil have escaped through some sort of seal to cause the smoke?<br /><br />2. what will all this oil do to my engine?<br /><br />Mike

NathanY

Commander
Re: Too much premix in the gas?

Dont know about the seal thing, but that much oil would cause some serious carbon build up, seriously foul plugs and create just a muck in your firing dome.

brokenboat

Seaman

Thanks, can it be cleaned out by running off a separate tank that is properly mixed. Also, replace the plugs?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

brokenboat <br />Try decarboning the engine first,while running off a different tank. And yes, replace the plugs after the decarb.