Too Much Power???

hicruise55

Cadet
My first post, tried searching - but couldnt find my answers...

I have a 1980 BeachCraft 19' with small cuddy boat is solid- hull, transom, stringers all seem in great shape.

I just pulled the Mercruiser 470 and I/O and bolted a transom bracket on, and will be adding a outboard very soon. My question is, can I run a Yamaha 225 with out worries? I was planning on building a bracket on the inside of the transom (across the top though hole bolts) then tie it into the stringers and encapsulate it all in fiberglass already!? I do not need a speed boat, this boat will be used mostly for fishing in the Puget Sound of Washington- so I would like a nice cruising speed...

1st choice motor would be the mid 80's Yamaha 224 oil injected with 415 hrs all control, gages, SS prop for $2250

2nd would be a 1987 Johnson 140 with compression all about 145, tilt/trim, controls, prop for $1650

Please let me know what you all think, I dont think I need 225 but seems to be the best OB out there right now(in this area) would 140 be enough???

Thanks in advance for all the .02 Aaron

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Too Much Power???

I think the real question is, can you insure it in your area with what you intend to put on it.

in Canada repowering is no problem, insurance is based on boat length and HP not Coast Guard rating. Your boat would qualify as a homebuilt so the label means nothing,

I would contact your insurer and check local applicable laws to see whats possible before choosing.

hicruise55

Cadet

Good call! I will make a call to my ins company tomm... I talked the guy down to $1800 and get to hear it run first, so I feel pretty good about it, plus with the added transom reinforcemnt it'll be ok!?

-Another question... how far below the bottom of the hull should the centerline of the propeller be? I have a fiberglass bracket, it has a V on the bottom and is filled with foam... does it have to be mounted as low as possible, or can I adjust it up to locate the propeller correctly?

Thanks again in advance...

saumon

Lieutenant

Cavitation plate even with the bottom of the hull is a good starting point.

Did you have pics, i'm curious about the "fiberglass bracket"?

hicruise55

Cadet

Thats what I was thinking... I like it low... I dont see any brands/stamps on it but its not cheaply made and its HEAVY! Im thinking it'll take a 225 Yamaha!?

Attachments

• GetAttachment[1].jpg
    GetAttachment[1].jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an 18footer with an aluminum bracket, designed a bit like yours, I had a Evinrude 225 on it and it really ran. now i have a johnson 90 modified to about 115 on it and its ok but a bit lazy fully loaded I think.
Since you have a heavier boat, mine is open no cuddy, i think the 140 would be a bit too small. but ensure that it is legal to use the V6 as advised before.

Installation.
1. it looks prettier low, but the opposite is what u want. you want to set it so that with the engine at its lowest mounting position, the cavitation plate would be level with the bottom of the boat. and its almost a case o the higher the better as there would be less drag when running.
2. reinforcing the transom is a must especially since the engine is going to be hung on a bracket.
3. maybe this should have been 1. ensure that the bracket is designed strong enough to hold the v6. i had a friend who built a fiberglass bracket and put a v6 on an 18footer like mine and it worked like a charm.
4. the bracket also gives u the option to install a swim platform across its top and that makes the boat feel a lot bigger when u are at anchor and people are moving in and out. see pic.
5. ensure that it is installed level, or your boat would never run properly

Cheers
P :) still No Fuss

Attachments

• no fuss swim platform.jpg
    no fuss swim platform.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1

hicruise55

Cadet

I definetly dont need to do 70mph!? lol

The bracket does not seem to be homemade, It seems of very good quality- def not made in someones garage!? I tend to overdo things and most definetly will with the reinforcement on the inside of the boat. I dont have too much doubt as to the strengh of the bracket...

I do really like the platform idea and might have to weld up some stainless once its all running for a platform.

I would have no problems moving it up as I want to put trim tabs on too...

-I guess a third question now... what is the best way to fill the I/O hole and other small holes in the transom(swim step/kicker bracket ect) I have no problem working with fiberglass but have never delt with underwater fiberglass

Thank you for all the help and insight so far! thank thank you!!! Aaron

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The best method for sealing up the transom is fiber glass. but the open hole is good access for building in the supports for the transom. we usually cut two pieces of wood in a Knee shape (sort of "L" with angles such that one outer edge runs along the inside bottom of the hull, and the other up the transom. these are then fiberglassed to the inside of the hull. if this is done properly. and you seem to be like me, "just enough is never enough, then you should have no problem trailering this rig. Just MAKE SURE that the bunks on your trailer extend back at least as far back as level with your transom, so the weight is supported at the transom.

the platform is probably best made of fiberglass, and in the US I am sure you could probably pick up one for little money. then just bolt it on to the top of the bracket. Mine is home made, wood covered with fiber glass.
good luck with your project

P :)

hicruise55

Cadet

Thank you too all! I picked up the Yamaha 225 Excel yesterday, it does have the shift shaft issue but started up on 2nd crank after not running for a month or so idled perfectly and peed well ;) came with ALL controls cables gauges and 411hrs!

I am very excited, I will be filling the transom and building the gussets along the inside top bolts of the o/b bracket, down to the stringers @45* angle, and glassing it all this weekend... will post pics!

Thanks again- Aaron

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Pay attention to your transom angle. Most I/Os have are fairly straight (up & down) or 90 degrees to the hull running surface. Outboards are tilted back slightly to give some negative trim to get going. Normally the angle is changed in the bracket.

hicruise55

Cadet

The transom the the boat does angle in a little, with the O/B braket mocked up it is flat/horizontal on the top but the back of the bracket is angled inward at the bottom.

Im not sure who manufactured this O/B Bracket, but its extremly well made!?

I figure with bracing on the inside, whats 30 more pounds of fiberglass and wood gona hurt... only make it stronger!