Too much oil in drive

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today I went to the lake. Numerous times I had trouble getting it to go into gear going forward. Reverse seemed ok. When I got back this afternoon I put the drive down and checked the fluid level. It was pretty much coming out the top where the dipstick is. It did not appear to have any water in it or anything like that - smelled ok too. I have not ever added fluid to this level. My mechanic changed my coil last week but I have never known him to do anything other than what we agreed to. I will call him tomorrow to verify.

I drained the excess to get it down to the proper level. Could I have done any damage? What kind of damage? REALLY stupid question - other than mechanic adding fluid - what could make the level appear high? Other than draining as I did, is there anything else I should do?

Really weird....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Too much oil in drive

The only damage you could do would be to damage the input shaft seal.

After you have the drive down for a while, recheck the level. After being up and the oil being cold, it may give you a false reading.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don - Would this have created the issue where it would not go in gear or is there another problem?

Also - are you saying that the reading I got whebn is was warm today is not as accurate as the cold reading that I will take next weekend when cold?

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

So - can someone answer two simple questions.

1. Does the warm outdrive lube expand?
2. Are you supposed to check the level when warm or cold?

captmello

Captain

So - can someone answer two simple questions.

1. Does the warm outdrive lube expand?
2. Are you supposed to check the level when warm or cold?

1. It probably does expand a small amount, but not enough to matter.
2. The gear lube just needs to be in the full range, warm and cold.