Too much motor?

wimico

Seaman Apprentice
I have a mid 80s Suntracker 24 party barge that is rated for a 115hp. Original motor is a 50hp Merc 4 cyl 2 stroke. I have acquired a 150hp Black Max V6 2 stroke that I am considering putting on this boat. My machine shop buddy tells me that beefing up the transom with new welded aluminum will be no problem.
I have seen smaller pontoons than mine with 150s on them so I am wondering if there are some kind on hidden gotcha's that I am not considering on this motor swap. (Other than insurance, etc.) All of my existing controls will work.

I know that I posted a similar question on the Mercury/Mariner engine site but I want to be sure the pontoon guys can give me some input.

Thoughts?

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Too much motor?

The mere fact that other barges, even if they're smaller, are rated for a 150 doesn't necessarily mean yours should be. Manufacturers establish horsepower ratings based on their unique knowledge of their products. The smaller barges you see may be later models, may have larger toons, third toons, stronger welds, factory mods, and/or any of a number of other things that render them capable of handling a larger motor. Your barge is 25 years old and you will be tempting fate if you overpower it, even if you do modify the pod. Capacity ratings exist to keep you, your passengers, and fellow boaters safe. Failure to adhere to them is dangerous and unethical and exposes you to potential financial ruin should an accident involving your boat occur, regardless of who causes it. You're a big boy and can do what you want, but you asked for thoughts, and those are mine. Others will echo them.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ditto with Incoop, I got my pontoon thinking I can put a bigger motor on and who cares about the consequences. Well when you go to get your boat insured they really don't agree with you. (even if you offer to give them a ride). Yes your friend may make your transom much stronger and it could probably hold the bigger motor, but my biggest worry is the insurance part of things. If you can find someone that doesn't mind you going over your hp rating than it may be ok, but your going up a whole 35 hp bigger than what it's rated and that may be a little too much. Plus I'm not sure it's necessary to go up that much more horsepower, a 115 hp will push it just fine and with the right stuff you can pull a tube if that's what your looking for with ease. Anyways good luck and have fun.

wimico

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. I'm convinced. I won't go with the 150.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Good idea,smart and safe.Besides a 115 will do about 37 on a 22 ft and burn about 10 gallons per hour at that speed.The 150 would do about 43 and use about 15 gph.

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

You really think a 115 will do 37???? This makes me happy :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

You really think a 115 will do 37???? This makes me happy :)

There are all sorts of seemingly small factors that can significantly affect the speed of a pontoon boat, but all things being equal, low to mid thirties is definitely attainable with a 115 on a 24 footer.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Speeds are widely variable depending on weight size of the logs,careful setup.
Keep in mind my figures were on a 22 and I have to admit I've seen speeds from 23-37.On 22 footers.The Party barge 24 appears to be light at 1650lbs.So if the logs are a good diameter the odds would be good for a decent speed.

well my 2 cents differ a little , I do agree that you need to be carefull on overpowering a boat etc.. but we are not talking about a 16 foot speed boat with a 250 hp on it . It is 24 foot pontoon and it weights 1650 lbs ? he can't flip it . The worst he could do is damage his own transom , runners , deck and I really can't see that if he beefs up the transom and runners .
If your worried about insurance they are correct don't do it . But if it is an old boat your not insuring why not .

lncoop

Vice Admiral

well my 2 cents differ a little , I do agree that you need to be carefull on overpowering a boat etc.. but we are not talking about a 16 foot speed boat with a 250 hp on it . It is 24 foot pontoon and it weights 1650 lbs ? he can't flip it . The worst he could do is damage his own transom , runners , deck and I really can't see that if he beefs up the transom and runners .
If your worried about insurance they are correct don't do it . But if it is an old boat your not insuring why not .

Really? Where to begin...???:confused: First, overpowering your boat and being careful are two concepts that are mutually exclusive. Even if the only down side were destroying your boat, which it isn't, isn't that enough? If you destroy your motor pod, structure, and deck you no longer have a boat.:eek: Second, whether it's a pontoon boat or speed boat is irrelevant. Exceeding the boat's capacity, especially by that much, is dangerous. If you don't understand why I hope you don't boat anywhere near me. Third, in Arkansas, and I suspect and hope anywhere else, insurance is required for any vessel powered by a motor larger than a 50 horse. We're not talking about comprehensive coverage, we're talking about liability coverage, which would undoubtedly be voided once the adjuster learned the incident involved a grossly overpowered boat. Guess what would happen when the counterparties learned the same thing.

What ?
I just gave an opinion , insurance is not required in my state .
A 24 foot pontoon with a 150hp outboard is dangerous ?
Okay

tomtnwlkrs

Seaman

Ok, I did alot of research on this issue while trying to repower a 1999 Tracker Party Barge, the 40hp wasn't cutting it. At the end of the day the Lawyers and lake patrol/OHP told me that you cannot go above the HP rating that is on tag on the boat. Worst case scenario is the person who overpowerd their boat has a wreck and hits another boater, then they can file civil actions against
the overpowered boat owner. The Lake Patrol will also be able to site the OBO for reckless endagerment. All I wanted to do was put a 115 on a boat that was rated for a 90.

Mr Crabbs

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's not spec'ed for it, I wouldn't do it.

These questions always remind me of the helmet law arguments.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

What ?
I just gave an opinion , insurance is not required in my state .
A 24 foot pontoon with a 150hp outboard is dangerous ?
Okay

If it's rated for 115 max, absolutely. Some barges are rated for 150. Some are rated for 250. His is rated for 115. Horsepower ratings vary according to the ability of various boats to handle them. That is not a matter of opinion. That is a matter of fact. If you're convinced your knowledge of boat construction exceeds that of the manufacturers, more power to you. However, if you ever have an accident in an overpowered boat you will lose your shirt, if not your life and/or others'. Finally, I don't know what state you live in, but I'm skeptical as to your assertion that liability insurance isn't required for larger outboards.