Too much compression???

degola

Cadet
Here I am again. Trying to get this 55 HP Chrysler running. I have turned the motor over without the plugs in after spraying the cylinders full of WD-40 and it really turns over good. It sprays a good plume of WD-40 out of each cyliner. However, when I put the plugs back in, the starter will barely turn the motor over. I mean VERY slowly. I'm confident the starter is okay. The battery is good. The only thing I can think of is I'm using jumper cables to get power to the motor. Is there such a thing as a stuck exhaust valve on this motor???

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: Too much compression???

Jumper cables do not give you very good contact. Because so little of the jumper comes in contact you have high contact resistance. Try sanding the contacts for the motor clean with emery cloth and clean the battery terminals with baking soda and water so you have clean connections. Check that all connections are not corroded and tight and try again. If this dont work you probably need a starter rebuild or the battery is a dud. This is common on new batteries.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by degola:<br />. Is there such a thing as a stuck exhaust valve on this motor???
There are no exhaust valves in a 2 stroke

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

If attached correctly, jumper cables should turn your motor over well with a good battery. I would have the starter looked at.

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

I wouldn't use WD40 in your motor. Use plain TCW 3 for these tests. It seems that your starter motor could be worn and although it might turn freely out of the motor it could be that under load it has no power to turn the flywheel of the motor.