Too Fast to Troll

Boston Habba

Seaman
My Friend has a 22' Criscraft CC straight inboard. 200 HP engine 13X13 prop. Boat wieghs about 3300 lbs. Boat moves too fast when trolling to pull tube and worm. He is running at about 5 mph, needs to get down below 3. Any suggestions on repropping?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Too Fast to Troll

troll plate x2 ....slow the idle.... pull a drift sock... prop with less pitch.. trim full up

Boston Habba

Seaman

Thanks guys but

Straight inboard- don't see any way to add a trolling plate
Idle is where it should be
Trailing a 5 gallon bucket only dropped speed about 1/2 MPH

I'll have him look into a lower pitch.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What inboard motor? What is the idle rpm?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Thanks guys but

You will be far better off getting a small portable trolling motor. Electric or something like a 2 to 4 HP outboard with a built in gas tank.

This will save you a lot of gas when you are trolling/fishing.

It will be very tough to drop speed by buying a lower pitch prop in your case. To go from 5 to 2.5 MPH (a 50% drop) you would need to get a much lower pitch prop and set your idle speed again with the new prop.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks guys but

Ayuh,... A 5 gallon bucket is merely 12" in diameter,...
Hang a couple of 5' drift socks/ trolling bags off the forward cleats,+ you'll have complete control of the speed...
Using the forward cleats, keeps 'em out of your way while fishin'....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think your going to need at least one drift sock if you can lower the rpm by 100 or 200.lets assume 800 rpm for round figures if you can drop 200 that should knock about 25% off the speed.1.25 mph. Then a drift sock or socks to keep it balanced.
Rig is obviously not well suited for trolling.

MRS

Commander

Hubba, that is kinda what I am doing now first I need the prop for right rpms then I am going with the smart trim tabs ss with the pro troller setup. I wonder if anybody here has tried the pro troller setup? I know a lot use and love the tabs but I never hear anybody talk about the trolling setup it does sound like a sweet setup.

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You prop to WOT so changing the prop to reduce your trolling speed is not a wise thing to do. With an inboard you need to install a trolling valve to get you down that slow. The boat remains proped per spec, you don't have anything hanging off the boat and you have infinite control of your trolling speed.

Bondo

Staff member

With an inboard you need to install a trolling valve to get you down that slow.

Ayuh,.... What's a Trolling Valve,..??

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,.... What's a Trolling Valve,..??
Basically a adjustable hydralic by-pass valve that allows you to regualte your speed by slipping the clutches in the transmissons. Pretty common feature on inboard diesel fishing boats.

Can be done on an gas inboard but the valves are not compatiable to all transmission makes and models.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the walleye are demanding a super slow trolling speed we simply back troll (troll in reverse). Granted, that works fine with an outboard but it probably presents a control issue with an inboard.

walleyehed

Admiral

Do we know what engine and rpm yet????
Are we talking a 1:1 drive here?
Just what are we trolling for?

tawood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Friend has a 22' Criscraft CC straight inboard. 200 HP engine 13X13 prop. Boat wieghs about 3300 lbs. Boat moves too fast when trolling to pull tube and worm. He is running at about 5 mph, needs to get down below 3. Any suggestions on repropping?

I had the exact same problem...my boat, at the correct idle and stock prop, trolled at 5.5 mph....The above advise is good, and I did almost everything here, and now I can troll down to 1.5 mph on my IO...
What I did:
1) lowered idle from 800 rpms to 500 rpms. I actually like running my motor like this (less gas is used, and it sounds better/quieter at idle). This knocked off about 2 mph at idle. It does make cold starting a little tricky, as I have to let it warm up before trying to shift into gear, or it stalls.
2) changed the stock 3 blade 19 pitch prop with a 4 blade 17 pitch. WOT rpm stayed about the same, and the boat got faster out of the hole, but it dropped the idle speed a little (maybe .5 mph). Top speed did drop about 5 mph though.
3) bought 2 drift socks, a small and a large. These can REALLY slow you down, and the large can cut my troll speed more than in half, even downwind. I use the small for divers, etc, and the large for june bugs/worm harnesses. BTW, even the small is probably 3 or 4 times bigger than a bucket.

Tim