Too cute to eat??

Triton II

Commander
Over the weekend I caught a little Wobbegong - also known as Port Jackson shark or "gummy shark". It was well over 75 cm long and weighed about three kg. I've sent Dunaruna a picture to post for me... I've done something stupid with my computer and can't get Photobucket to work. The reason for this post is to find out whether anyone else catches these type of sharks, and if so, do you eat them? The little guy I caught was so docile and so cute I gently removed the hook, gave him a big mouthful of prawns, and released him to hopefully grow into a bigger fish.<br /><br />EDIT: No need to post pic for me Aldo, I got it to work... operator error! :rolleyes: <br />
wobbegong.jpg

Triton II

Commander
Re: Too cute to eat??

here's another shot...<br /><br />
Wobbe2.jpg
<br /><br />Now I've done a bit of research I think you're right... southern fiddler ray or banjo shark. Can you eat them?

Dunaruna

Admiral

I could be wrong. I've been searching the web, it certainly LOOKS like a banjo, but every link I go to says that banjo's are only found in victoria - dunno.....<br /><br />Banjo sharks are very tasty. They have tiny teeth, nothing dangerous.

Triton II

Commander

Mate, the water in Botany Bay is cold enough for it to be Victoria - 15.5 degrees C! <br /><br />Still think Banjo/whatever was too cute to eat, whereas Flatheads which are downright ugly are good eating and I have no qualms about catching and eating them. <br /><br />I also caught a ray which was grey coloured on top, white underneath and slimy as anything, he went straight back in too... compare the underside of the slimy thing to the underside of banjo, whose skin was rubbery but had a sandpaper feel to it.<br /><br />
banjobelly.jpg
<br /><br />
SlimyRay.jpg

Dunaruna

Admiral

This is a gummy shark. Very, very tasty!! Although we let this little tacker go.<br /><br />
gummy.jpg

Dunaruna

Admiral

What a pair we are, sitting at work posting pics of fish. :) <br /><br />Looovvveee flatheads, damn expensive in the restaurants these days also.<br /><br /> My mum used to grind them up and make fish patties, bones an all. She would save the eyes for herself, I still get queezy in the pit of my stomach just thinking about it.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

definately a banjo, caught heaps on them and they are very wide spread through Australian waters

Triton II

Commander

Thanks for confirming Duna's thoughts Noel... pity they don't fight because I could never kill one, they're far too cute. So I won't try to catch them, it's flathead for me. :)

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

best thing to let them go, they are edible but not too "flash" on the plate, the similar fish called a shovel nose is quite good to eat and looks sort of similar, but does not have markings on the back, just plain brown and they have a pointy head with a sort of clear point.

David Schenck

Seaman Apprentice

We have a similar species in South Africa - we call them sand sharks or banjos. They get very big in KwaZulu Natal and put up a tremendous scrap! A Wobbegong is much rounder/bulgier creature. Nice pics!