Too Cold?

bigmarc66

Seaman
Hey guys, I recently bought my boat and only got to use it for one weekend before I winterized it last weekend. Thanksgiving is coming up this week and I am very tempted to de-winterize and take out the boat with all the family that will be down. It is November and I live in MA and I was just wondering if you think it would be to late now. I know I would have to re-fog the motor and drain all the fuel, but would I need to re-drain the lower unit oil if I used it once? I wouldn't be considering doing the whole process over again, but my best friend is headed to Iraq, and he will never be able to go out with me next summer. What do you guys think. Is it too cold to run the boat and risk anything freezing?

Thanks, Marcus

1730V

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Too Cold?

It's up to you.

Outboards drain fine (water) if they are stored vertically.

Re-fog, yes.

Re-check the lower unit.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Go for it and have a good time! I used my boat for duck hunting and had it so cold the spray would freeze on the bow. Worked like a champ.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When I lived in MN I used to go fishing when I had to stop and break the ice out of my rod guides. Old JohnnyRude just kept purring along. :)

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I agree, go for it Marcus. I live on Long Island and I don't usually pull my boat until the end of Dec or beginning of January, no problem at all.

Just re-fog and run stabilizer through and you'll be good.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

have fun enjoy the time with your friend,

extend to him our best wishes, for his safe return.

then,

Outboards drain fine (water) if they are stored vertically.

Re-fog, yes.

Re-check the lower unit.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey JB, you don't have to go to MA to get guide ice. I used to fish Tawakoni in January and Feb....looking for the fat sows, and had to break guide ice often.

Mark

delfinasul

Seaman

I never winterize my outboards. Me and my friends have the boats on water all year, with engine out of water. I run my engine once or two on a month for a couple a minutes if i the weather is to bad for letting me out to fish and i didn't have any problems yet.

In my country the medium temperature range, on winter, is between -10 C and 19 C.

A.Cosmin

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

For you non metric folks, del's temps are about 14 to 57F. We probably run 40F mean temp here in N. Texas with a few days around freezing and half dozen below usually no lower than 10F and that is only for a day or two.

So we don't usually winterize here either.

Mark

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

hello txmark~
so what do u do for those days when it is below 32F? do you wrap 'ur pipes'? like do u wrap the l/u? i am in so tx, but wonder about any water in water passage way cavities when it gets to mid 20's. even inside, i know my tractor dont like to wake up too easy when the frost is thick and the bass tanks are skating ponds.
regards
lakester

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

All I do is insure my engine is vertical or slightly tucked in so the exhaust water can drain out and insure that my lower unit (oil) contains no water.

My windshield is useless (too small) so I have a head sock (with holes for vision) like a snow skier might use, and use a clear head shield, like you would use in grinding metal, to deflect the cold air that otherwise makes me cry.

Mark

45Auto

Commander

Wow, you guys are some serious hard-core boaters! Only way I go out if the temp is even in the 70's is if it's going to be a real sunny day. 'Course, I'm not a fish-chaser, only reason I go out is to look at the wimmen laying around tanning on the bow and stern .................