tongue weight/trailer ride height

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If you don't know your tongue weight what opition do you have?I have no scale to firgure out the tongue weight.I have a 5" drop receiver on my truck and the trailer is about level.It seen like if i put the 2" receiver on the truck it raise the back of the trailer frame and has a better chance to bottom out on a steep valley in the rode.The boat don't sway going down the rode but i notice it wants to buck alittle on the bumping rode.What do you think?

Monkaroo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: tongue weight/trailer ride height

A little bit of bucking motion is not uncommon with pulling any type of trailer actually . As long as you have enough truck to handle the load as far as pulling power and stopping power , I wouldn't worry about it . I think the bucking motion is mainly the timing of when each axle hits the dip in the road as you cross it , making you buck . Drive a sensable speed , be more cautious when the roads are wet , and don't look back . I drive 2610 miles a week with a 53 foot trailer behind me , the old big units want to buck a bit sometimes too .;)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

height-wise, your best bet is to get the trailer frame level.

tongue-weight wise, my experience is, a tongue light trailer will sway uncontrollably; tongue heavy, you'll feel it in the tow vehicle. Loading the boat about an inch further, in or out, makes a noticeable difference.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take the bath room scale out, put it on a bucket and set the tongue in the center of the scale. the weight should be 10% of the total load.