Tohatsu props

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 90hp came off a barge in Japan. The prop on it was marked A13. is this a 13 pitch? it was awful on the boat, 40mph and 6000rpm at 3/4 throttle!!<br />The hull is a 15ft fibreglass. What prop should i go to?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tohatsu props

Don't know much about your boat, Matt, but 90hp on a 15ft boat would use something in the 19" to 21" range, I think.<br /><br />I will move this to Outboard Non-repair for more exposure.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The A13 is a 12.4 pitch. I would start with the 19" pitch as JB suggested and then go up to a 21" if you need to.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks. whats the story with going to a cupped prop?

MarkHPCA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used to have a 90HP Nissan/Tohatsu on an 18 ft Hydrostream. I used a Turningpoint 19P Hustler alimuninum prop. It has a fair amount of cup and is not too expensive. It was great for water sports and general cruising. Really good holeshot and top speed.

bb_ed

Seaman Apprentice

Most modern props are cupped. Cupping helps the prop "grab" the water a little better in higher performance applications. Your WOT (wide open throttle) RPM will act as if you have added 1/2"-1" of pitch, that is, you will lose about 150 - 300 RPM. All this is from the Mercury Marine "Everything You Need to Know ABout Propellers" publication.<br /><br />Here are some prop links that may help you.<br /><br /> Michigan Wheel<br /><br /> Tohatsu TechInfo Page - this one has a prop chart and a link where you can download the ownwer's manual for your engine. The owner's manual has a section on propping and a great deal of other useful stuff.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br />Ed.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok. i am going to be water skiing as well so was thinking about going to a cupped 17 pitch hustler or similar. does this sound to small?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

No, in a cupped prop you are in the right range. But, only actual trial will determine the best prop for your application. Just remember, prop selection is a way of fine tuning to a specfic use, on a specfic day. Water conditions, weather, boat load ( both gross weight and how its loaded), and that days purpose can make a difference. Just moving 25 kgs a meter in the boat can make a real difference.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

at least if i go for the hustler then i can easily change the outers!! do you know if the hustlers use all the same spacers etc as the factory prop?