Tohatsu Prop Thrust Washer

ucanoe_2

Recruit
I have a Tohatsu 5 hp MFS5B. I bent a blade on the original prop and replaced it. Along with the new prop I got a prop hardware kit with a new nut, thrust washer, flat washer, and cotter pin.

The old thrust washer is stuck tight to the splines on the shaft. The boat spent a lot of time in salt water before I got it, and there appears to be corrosion that has seized the thrust washer to the shaft. The shaft is not bent or damaged in any way. How can I remove the thrust washer without breaking something?

Also, is there somebody you would recommend for repairing the old prop?

Thanx.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu Prop Thrust Washer

To small to worry about repairing. Take a punch, stick it throught the prop and catch the lip of the washer and knock it loose.

ucanoe_2

Recruit

Guru, thanks for your advice.

My first post may not have been clear. The part I am calling a thrust washer is identified as a "propellor thrust holder" in my owner's manual. It is forward of the prop, i.e. toward the bow of the boat.

The thrust washer is stuck to the shaft, not to the prop itself. There is no way to get behind it with a punch. My tapping and wiggling so far has not budged it.

I think I will try to find a small gear puller to remove it. In the meantime I have installed the new prop with the new flat washer, brass nut, and cotter pin.

pvanv

Admiral

If it isn't damaged, but only stuck, it's OK to just leave it on. If the time comes to replace the prop shaft seal, you will be pulling the prop shaft housing any way, so at that time, you can drive the shaft forward out of the housing, leaving the thrust holder loose (or cracked).