Tohatsu M9.8A vs. M9.8B model differences

daveh77

Seaman Apprentice
Since acquiring a Tohatsu M9.8A and trying to find information about it, which is mostly non-existent, Paul and Sea Rider helped convince me that it is indeed an obsolete one-of -a-kind.
I got an A model parts book and Sea Rider posted a Model B parts book for comparison.
Thank you both and others who responded.

They were right, (as I expected), this A model is obsolete and truly one of it's own kind!
After working through comparing all the parts diagrams, I don't think there is a single part that would interchange except screws or bolts!

So in case anyone is interested, here is my take on the original, and the differences.
The A model was basically a 'prototype' without most of the common features of an outboard motor, especially the powerhead.
A uses a dirt bike style carb with a central slide and no attached fuel pump.
B is a more typical OB design carb and pump.
A has a mag with points. B has SSI
A has no spark advance on the mag mounting plate connected to the throttle or carb
B has the typical moving advance plate integral to throttle and carb.
A has 2 individual coils, B has a double coil unit.
A appears to have only bushings on the top end of the rods.
B has needle bearings throughout.
A throttle is one cable to the carb slide only.
B throttle is 2 cables and linked to the mag plate.
The castings and hence the gaskets are all different shape, none the same.
Both have reed valves but slightly different shape and housings.
Recoil starters look similar but are different.
Everything below the powerheads is different, including the impellers.

Obviously Model B came up to more common OB design.

So much for finding A model parts from B model or newer ;-(

It has been an interesting venture for an OB newbie, just thought I would pass on what I found in case it might help someone else.

Again, thanks to all here who continue to help me figure this boat stuff out.

Attachments

• 20201031_150424.jpg
    20201031_150424.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Interesting the comparison between both models. Seems the 2 stroke 9.8 B2 model is the farthest series that will go without needing any further tech updates...

Happy Boating

Pilom

Recruit
Since acquiring a Tohatsu M9.8A and trying to find information about it, which is mostly non-existent, Paul and Sea Rider helped convince me that it is indeed an obsolete one-of -a-kind.
I got an A model parts book and Sea Rider posted a Model B parts book for comparison.
Thank you both and others who responded.

They were right, (as I expected), this A model is obsolete and truly one of it's own kind!
After working through comparing all the parts diagrams, I don't think there is a single part that would interchange except screws or bolts!

So in case anyone is interested, here is my take on the original, and the differences.
The A model was basically a 'prototype' without most of the common features of an outboard motor, especially the powerhead.
A uses a dirt bike style carb with a central slide and no attached fuel pump.
B is a more typical OB design carb and pump.
A has a mag with points. B has SSI
A has no spark advance on the mag mounting plate connected to the throttle or carb
B has the typical moving advance plate integral to throttle and carb.
A has 2 individual coils, B has a double coil unit.
A appears to have only bushings on the top end of the rods.
B has needle bearings throughout.
A throttle is one cable to the carb slide only.
B throttle is 2 cables and linked to the mag plate.
The castings and hence the gaskets are all different shape, none the same.
Both have reed valves but slightly different shape and housings.
Recoil starters look similar but are different.
Everything below the powerheads is different, including the impellers.

Obviously Model B came up to more common OB design.

So much for finding A model parts from B model or newer ;-(

It has been an interesting venture for an OB newbie, just thought I would pass on what I found in case it might help someone else.

Again, thanks to all here who continue to help me figure this boat stuff out.
Hi daveh77!

Thanks for the shared experience on manuals study.
I just got an old Tohatsu M8A and thinking to buy same part list, what you intorduced in an other post. Repair point of view, how do you see the usability of the part list? Has a value to buy for repair purpose, or better to take a part measure than chase somewhere on the market?
That part list giving better understanding on your outboard or tried to looking for spare part, based on indicated part numbers?
I'm asking these, as the outboard actually do not run and lower section needs to be renovated also. If the part situation is more than challangefull, I could leave it. Thanks in advance for the answer.