tohatsu m40d water pipe issue

ronaldhase

Recruit
can anyone tell me how exactly to install the water pipe upper seal and collar and locking rubber seal on the water pipe? i can see the exploded view on the order and direction they go on but not how far up the pipe to install before installing the lower unit that has a rubber seal attached to the top of the water pump.. no matter how i install with or without the upper seal and collar and locking rubber seal i still get water pouring out of top of middle case just behind motor mounts to boat.. is this normal for "excess water" the motor cant take? i bought this boat used and not running. when i first removed lower unit there was no upper seals or collar or anything on the pipe. the rubber that locks onto top of water pump was all that was there so i am attempting to add the water pipe components in an effort to correct. any info would be much appreciated..

ronaldhase

Recruit
this is the m40d carburated model but according to the repair manual i have a tldi lower unit or at least a tldi style water pump. this may be an issue also?

LukeFishWalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In the diagram that Paul posted - Is the pipe ( #30 )
loose where it connects to the lower engine base?
Or are you saying that your motor doesn't have the
Water Pipe Seal ( #31 ) and the Collar ( #32 ) ?
Because the Collar ( #33 ) is the seal between the
Water Pump Seal Lower ( #29 ) and the Water Pipe Seal ( #31 ).
Without the #31 the #29 will likely not create a good seal
to the Water Pipe ( #30 ).

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
# 31-32-33 parts attaches somewhere onto the upper/middle/lower portion of the lower base part # 3C8S013010 as seen in the Drive Shaft Housing page 43. If so will need to remove the powerhead, base pan and even the whole exhaust pipe to access the lower base and install those parts onto the upper water tube. ?

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Got it! thank you thank you.
If all mentioned rubber components are fully rised to line up against the upper water tube as seen won't do a thing. Tohatsu should have drawn those 3 components right where they belong to to avoid missleading visual interpretation.

If you look closely the upper water tube has a built in neck, those rubber components are housed around there, once attached must be inserted on the lower base which needs to be removed to access the water tube's resting area and proceed to the insertions.

Happy Boating