Tohatsu carbs

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, finally got to work on my 90hp. It had been sitting for a while so i pulled the carbs off, freed everything up and cleaned them out. Put them back on and to my suprise, it fired up first time! (this motor had been sitting for who knows how long after previously copping a beating in Japan for ten years) It runs beautifully but all the carbs are dripping into the throats. I neglected to clean out all the lines and filter when i did the carbs. Do the needles and seats give much trouble or is likely to have just sucked some junk in?

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tohatsu carbs

10 yrs.? New lines & filter(s)& clean the carbs again. I haven't had any trouble with needles and seats in my '93 90 hp as long as they are clean. :)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It would be unusual for the parts to be bad. They are probably still in need of a good soak.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I will try that. What would you soak them in?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Carb cleaner from an auto parts store is your first choice. You can use acetone, toluene, xylene, mek, and other solvents too. Be sure and take the carbs apart and to remove all plastic, rubber, and gasket materials first.

45_red

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been too chicken to soak mine, as the fuel inlet elbow is plastic, also the float needle has a plastic tip. Just been cleaning with spray carb. cleaner and compressed air.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

BE NOT AFRAID!<br /><br />The plastic elbow will be fine. The needle you can clean by hand with a little solvent on a cloth.

mattsaks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pulled them down again. Little bit of junk in one of them. There doesnt appear to be any problems. I can see a wear mark from where the needle sits. I guess this is normal? I will run it again this weekend once i have the bottom end back on.