Tohatsu 3.5 won't start....no fire

rocks

Seaman
1 year old 3.5hp, ran fine last summer. I put it up for the winter and now nothing..... can't even get it to sound like it wants to start. I had a small problem last summer with it wanting to run rough for a 2 week period of time, but that worked it self out. Any ideas.
Thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 3.5 won't start....no fire

Determine what part has failed by using the test values and procedures found in the service manual....Since the engine has a three year warranty you should take it into a dealer for service.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 3.5 won't start....no fire

Determine what part has failed by using the test values and procedures found in the service manual....Since the engine has a three year warranty you should take it into a dealer for service.

Yes. Ditto to what Elvin says. When you say "no fire", do you mean no spark to the plug? I would add that the most common issues on these modern 4-strokes (of all brands) are fuel-related, as opposed to ignition. Keep in mind that a dealer cannot consider cleaning the carb a warranty repair. If the carb was not run dry when the motor was "put up" for the winter, that may be the cause of the problem -- but likely will not be covered under warranty.

rocks

Seaman
Re: Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke won't start....UPDATE

Got into the carb and obviously had a little water left in the bowl over the winter. Cleaned carb and flushed tank. Now motor will start and idle with choke on. Can not get the motor to run with choke off. Seems to be lean on fuel???? Any ideas or adjustments that can be made?

pvanv

Admiral

Quite a common problem. Likely the low speed circuit is restricted with deposits. That means, as long as it's not aluminum oxide from the "water left in the bowl", it can probably be cleaned. That requires a 4-hour soak in real carb dip, such as Tyme, followed by a blow-out (carb spray is good for that), followed by a check of float height during reassembly. The spray carb cleaner is not aggressive enough to dissolve the organic deposits in the passages. Likewise, if it did indeed have water in it, and the passages have oxidation in them, it's time for a new carb, as no solvent will clean that correctly. And in the future, always run the carb dry at the end of the day to prevent the varnishing issue caused by today's poor fuels.

lenking

Recruit
Re: Tohatsu mfs4b plug wont fire

I have a 2 year old 3.5hp 4 stroke which will not start after 4mo of storage. I have discontented a new plug, grounded it to the block and see no spark. All wires are tight and the disconnect button is disengaged. The same thing happened last time I took it from storage. On that occasion I cleaned the carb, fuel filter and lines and after inserting a new plug it fired right up and ran fine.. THIS time nothing????

help appreciated Len King

simplystressed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same issue a while back on a 9.8 motor would only run with full choke. Did a proper clean of the carb and it was fine after that. Clogged jets

pvanv

Admiral

I have a 2 year old 3.5hp 4 stroke which will not start after 4mo of storage. I have discontented a new plug, grounded it to the block and see no spark. All wires are tight and the disconnect button is disengaged. The same thing happened last time I took it from storage. On that occasion I cleaned the carb, fuel filter and lines and after inserting a new plug it fired right up and ran fine.. THIS time nothing????

help appreciated Len King

OK, you should make a new topic, because you have a different issue. But... if your clip is disengaged, Engage the stop lanyard clip.