Today's a real bummer.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander
Went fishing this morning, 4 hours and not as much as a nibble, moored the boat up to the landing and off i went to back the trailer down to the ramp. Lo and behold i could not believe my eyes, the tailgate of my F150 was not where i had left it, someone had actually stolen the tailgate off of my truck :mad: . Darn it! so i spent most of the day calling around the various junk yards trying to find a replacement. No luck so far, everyone keeps telling me that it's a dealer only part, they have lots of tailgates but not for the stepside or flareside, which is what i am in need of. So all in all, even after the cussin and you know what, today has been a real bummer :(

Stratosfied

Ensign
Re: Today's a real bummer.

Hey man, look on the bright side, at least you got to take your boat out for a few, I haven't been able to get mine in the water since 10/03. :( <br />and just think, tomorrows GOT to be better! :cool:

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Posted by jtexas: Didn't you lock it? <br />--------------------------------------------------<br />I usually do lock everything down and try to keep the out of sight out of mind approach. but somehow i failed to check the tailgate this once, just bad luck i guess, but it still makes me furious just to think about it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Ya know, most people wouldnt understand why you would need to lock a tailgate. Isnt it pathetic that they even need them. :mad: <br /><br />Did you look around where you parked, they may have ditched it nearby, to come pick it up later that night.<br /><br />Ken

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, myself and a cop checked out the surrounding area, no luck there either.<br />My truck is a 1999 F150 stepside, The tailgate shown on ebay is the right one,the only difference is in the color, my truck is black.<br />I will look into the one on ebay, it would'nt be a problem to have it painted.<br />Thanks Ken, i sure appreciate your help, i hope that i don't get another day like today anytime soon.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

HMMM,<br />I just bought a F350 and wasn't too concerned with the tailgate being locked. You may have changed my mind.<br />I have heard of them being stolen, but always wondered where they went.<br />Ebay maybe?<br /><br />AK Chappy

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry to hear about your bad day. Its so hard to believe what can be stolen these days. Its darn right aggravating. All you want is a nice peaceful day on the water. <br />Good luck with your search for your new tailgate.<br />Bassy<br />P.S. Memo to self: Lock tailgate.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took mine off and got a flow thru tailgate (Like for a 5th-wheel). Really improves the mileage. Just a thought.<br /><br />Craig

gaugeguy

Captain

I drove the trailer hitch through my tailgate a couple years ago on my 99 F150. When I brought it to the body shop to have it replaced they told me that the tailgate was a high theft item, since then I keep it locked.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

When you get a new one. Hook a camera up to a pull string. Let them steal it again, so that you get a nice glossy of them. :D

ehenry

Commander

Damn crackheads....we need to round em all up and put them in a stadium, throw a pound of crack in on the 50 yard line and watch them take one another out over it.

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to hear about your theft, Elmer. Sad times, these are. When I bought my 98 F150, as I was inspecting it, I noticed the key hole in the talegate so I asked the salesman"Is that so nobody could get into the back of my truck if I had a lid or cap on it?" His reply was"No, not really. It's to prevent people from stealing the tailgates"<br /> I rarely lock mine(its got so many scratches and dings in it nobody would steal it) Best of luck!