Today is the day!!!!!

NathanY

Commander
Today is the day that I follow in the footsteps of many great members of this board. Today is the day that I am no longer a slave to addictions or dependancies. Today is the day that I quit smoking. <br /><br />Today is the day, that I bought a big pack of gum to help me! ;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Today is the day!!!!!

Way to go Nate.<br />Hang in there. It will get worse before it gets better let me tell you.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Gongrats....just think, today is the first day that you will now be reversing the aging process....getting all those chemicals out of your system.....<br /><br />Plus, this will give you more time to watch the Aggies!<br /><br />Once again, congrats...hang in there and don't succomb back to the monkey on your back....stay strong and hold course!

crab bait

Captain

thats great.. but why today.. why not buy one more pack an inhale the delicious smoke for one more day.. <br /><br /> boy, is your nicotine buddy gonna be p'd at you once he finds out.. hate to be you.

tylerin

Commander

Tried that gum, but every time I threw it down and tried to put it out my foot got stuck to the ground :D Good luck N in A

ndemge

Commander

So how are you doing.......?<br />I want updates.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

For those that quit, I'm curious. Are there any exceptions to your rules? At least half the people that I know that have quit smoking, they allow themselves to smoke when they drink alcohol, especially if they go to a bar. <br /><br />Anybody else with these exceptions?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /> For those that quit, I'm curious. Are there any exceptions to your rules? At least half the people that I know that have quit smoking, they allow themselves to smoke when they drink alcohol, especially if they go to a bar. <br /><br />Anybody else with these exceptions?
If the smoke when they go out to bars, then they have not quit. Sorry.<br />There are no exceptions when you quit.<br />Period.

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Way to go Nathan...I quit 16 days ago. Hell week is tough, but once you get past it, its starts getting easier. You will be able to breath deep breaths again, smell things you forgot about, and taste things the way they really are. I am going cold turkey, and once your body flushes out all the poisons, you really will notice a major difference. Good luck and hang in there. I found a lot of good info at www.quitsmokingsupport.com.

ndemge

Commander

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br /> For those that quit, I'm curious. Are there any exceptions to your rules? At least half the people that I know that have quit smoking, they allow themselves to smoke when they drink alcohol, especially if they go to a bar. <br /><br />Anybody else with these exceptions?
Absolutly not!<br /><br />The only reason I have made it 132 Days today is the fact that I learned what tricks my mind had played on me all the other times I quit smoking.<br /><br />.... Once you quit, you are a non smoker. Period. "have a smoke with a beer"... It's just another trick your mind plays with you. your brain LIKES Nicotene, and if it can trick YOU into giving it what it wants, it will!<br /><br /><br />I've failed many times in the past, a few weeks into it, "reward" yourself... and your right back on it.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> If the smoke when they go out to bars, then they have not quit. Sorry.<br />There are no exceptions when you quit.<br />Period.
I understand this mentality, but in the cases I have seen, it truly is an exception. They only smoke when they drink, whether it be three days since their last cigarette, or three months. It's not an excuse to continue smoking, they do not frequent bars more often just to have an excuse to smoke. My girlfriend in particular, she smoked about 3 times a year, only when she went out to bars.<br /><br />I know they have documentation on different mental/physical states induced by drugs, and they truly are separate. If a person learns something while high on dope, he will remember it better the next time he is high than he will when he is sober, because he learned it while high. I figured it was much the same effect, but I don't see much to support my theory here.

Link

Rear Admiral

N in A<br />Don't use the following as a excuse haha and congrads on your decision.<br /><br />wilkin250r <br />
I understand this mentality, but in the cases I have seen, it truly is an exception. They only smoke when they drink, whether it be three days since their last cigarette, or three months. It's not an excuse to continue smoking, they do not frequent bars more often just to have an excuse to smoke. My girlfriend in particular, she smoked about 3 times a year, only when she went out to bars.<br />
I think you are correct in that these people are the exceptions. But I know so many who do just that it makes me wonder. My fishing partner and I were just talking about that last Saturday. With us we think it will be a DO or DONT type thing. Which is why we were talking about it in the first place.

NathanY

Commander

Well just to give everybody an update, it has been 1 day now. Am feeling good, dont have jitters or anything like that. Also dont feel moody, but time will tell. <br /><br />Why today? Well, why not? I spend about $135 a month on cigarettes, and am tired of waking up in the morning with my chest hurting.<br /><br />I just quit cold turkey, and am not looking back. Ask anyone that knows me, I do not do anything I dont want to do, and I dont want to smoke anymore. **** on cigarettes. I dont need them.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Nathan...I quit on Jan 6 quite by accident...I'll explain sometime. Take a 5 dollar bill and put it away every day you stay away from smokes and when you need a reward raid the money jar...there's no such thang as almost not smokin...ju either smoke, or you don't smoke. Wait till you start smellin things again...and go to a party and see a sweet you thang...and when you approach her you smell the stink of the smoke...remember, you used to smell like that...ugh...Chief :cool:

ezbtr

Commander

Awesome Nate! I just got patch kit for my bday, am gettin ready! What I did today was I DIDNT buy new pack, will finish the old halfs and plop on patch! Keep us all updated! I'll be postin soon! Dang, 23 yrs smokin and I want to QUIT! I HATE the smel next a.m. in house, car etc. And thank God all kids buggin me to quit too :)Take care, Heinz

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good for you, butt bad for the rest of us taxpayers. ;) <br /><br />Sounds like you have the right type of personality to quit. congrats. :cool: