Tobin canyon pro

msg4bob

Cadet
Hi All. New here and first foray into boating with a Tobin Canyon Pro (Costco). The boat looks very similar to the Intex Mariner 4 except it comes with 2 inflatable seats instead of 3. My untrained eye tells me the material quality of this boat seems pretty good :p

So far I have the Intex trolling motor mount and shopping for 50-55lbs trolling motor. Plan to pair that with a ~100ah LiFePO4 battery. I also got some HH-66 to mount a pair of Brocraft base plates, which I plan to mod with threaded inserts to mount a SereneLife 4 bow Bimini. Yes, the Bimin is waaay too large but hard to ignore as it is cheaper than cost of raw materials! However, all poles, joints, and fabric top will need to be cut/re-rivet to fit size, essentially using the parts as DIY. Also got a 3.5lb anchor kit. This boat is only intended for lakes. Does this setup sound ok with you all?

Couple of questions.
-The Tobin comes with an inflatable hard flooring. I have not yet put the craft in water and have no experience with it but how well does it 'stand' or hold shape in water? Are these firm enough for secure footing? OR do I need to make a plywood flooring? If I do make flooring, do I leave out the inflatables flooring and go with .5" plywood or should I keep the inflatable flooring and pile on another layer of .25" plywood?

-I wanted to glue/mount a base to have a fix plank seat for rowing. Any suggestions on what is the best anchor? I also consider adding another pair of Brocraft base plates and mount a plank on top of that? One of the appeals of plywood flooring is the ability to add hard mounting points for bench/seats and other random fixtures.
Anyone have experience with this 2pcs deep reinforced seat support PVC Inflatable Boat?

-The Canyon Pro is rated for 600lbs but the Mariner 4 is rated for 880lbs. Can someone share thoughts on why this maybe the case?

-Any recommended 50-55lb thrust trolling motor? Mini Kota Endura, Endura c2, Endura Max are top of the list. Btw, what is the difference between these? I believe the C2 has fix speed points, where as the Max has variable speed control and supposedly more energy efficient. Is it advisable to buy a used motor or should/must I only buy new -why?

-Do I need to register an 'inflatable' boat (+electric motor) if I plan to take it to lates in state parks? Seems I do? Do I need to register in other states? Not sure if 'inflatable' has a different requirement/definition.

msg4bob

Cadet
In search of the boat's CoO, it seem this boat is made by Bestway.

I seem to have overlooked there's a Mariner 3 (3 ppl -duh), which is comparable to this Canyon Pro. Nonetheless, the Mariner 3 is rate for 880 lbs while the Mariner 4 is rated for 1100 lbs! Is the Canyon Pro inferior in some way that it is rated for 600lbs OR are they being conservative???

msg4bob

Cadet
The Mariner comes with an inflatable keel, which the Canyon Pro do NOT have. Is this vital (for an inflatable boat)?

EDIT:
Searching for random internet info on inflatable keel. I can understand its purpose but doesn't seem necessary for calm lakes (on an inflatable). What say folks here?
The keel is an essential part of a sailboat, and it comes in various forms. However, an inflatable doesn’t need a keel to stay upright and maneuver easily through the water. If you want to add keels to your PVC boats for extra stability or simply for aesthetic purposes, feel free! They aren’t a must-have, but they can be excellent additions.

While inflatable boats don’t need keels, we certainly recommend them for a bit of extra stability. For example, in primarily calm waters or during warm summer days, you might prefer to go without a keel if it means saving weight or increasing your speed. However, if you run into choppy waters while using an inflatable boat, some extra weight at the bottom of your craft will help balance out your ride and give you a little more control.

Last edited:

Papa-t

Seaman Apprentice
Welcome to the forum. I have no experience with that one. Good luck and let us know how it does.