To Wax or Not

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just read an article in Boating Life where this guy suggests using two coats of bees wax then a coat of Teflon. Does this sound like a good idea? or is it a waste of time and money? Also, What is Bees Wax anyway?

ebry710

Ensign
Re: To Wax or Not

Bee wax is the basic structure of a beehive. It is true bees wax.

What are you waxing?

D445547

Cadet

Don't bother with wax. I used to be an auto body tech for a number of years and all wax does is create a nasty buildup on your gelcoat sometimes distorting the color of your boat. Simply use a boat specific non-static glaze coat on your boat every few months or when the boat no longer feels smooth.
To maintain just wipe your boat down with a mild vinegar and water solution after a day at the lake to eliminate water spots.
I get mine from detailking.com, and sadly, no kickbacks for saying so.
Do the same for your auto.
Enjoy.:)

ebry710

Ensign

If you have waxed before, what are you using to prep before applying non-static glaze coat?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you hit search ....and use wax as a key word....i think youll find "wax" will come off your boat in a hurry.....

Last edited:

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Everybody has there preference on wax's / polish ect....i've been boating for 25 years,am a throttle man on an APBA offshore racer, own 3 boats, and MY opinion is at the beginning of the season ,depending on condition of Gelcoat,compound/or polish....wash again....then apply 2 coats of Collinite # 845 Insulator wax, (it was developed to stop "flashover" on High Tension power lines) when needed wash boat ONLY with Boat soap (Orrpine) forget all this bee's wax nonsense,or all that super duper,new & improved crap,the only way to obtain a good gelcoat finish is hard work and good product,my boats endure Fla,sun & SC sun for 9 months a year and still look good come November.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

depending on condition of Gelcoat,compound/or polish....wash again....then apply 2 coats of Collinite # 845 Insulator wax, (it was developed to stop "flashover" on High Tension power lines) when needed wash boat ONLY with Boat soap (Orrpine) forget all this bee's wax nonsense,or all that super duper,new & improved crap,the only way to obtain a good gelcoat finish is hard work and good product

:):):)

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a second vote for the Collonite.

cbavier

Lieutenant

A third vote for the Collinite 845 or Collinite 925. Both are suppose to be the same thing.

Another good one is Meguires Flagship Premium boat wax which really isn't a wax but a Polymer application. Wax containing Carnuba Yellow's.

Jarhead44

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 19' aluminum hull fish and ski. I remember reading in a boat magazine that they recomended rainex on the hull. They siad something about water surface tension and you would get more speed from the rainex. i"m in fresh water and i'm wondering if there any protective qualities from rain ex.

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

RainX is silicone based. I doubt it has any protective capabilities.

pgpg5860

Seaman Apprentice

Does collinite stop hull staining as well, I spent only a month on the ocean and I can't get the "yellow" out

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Above the water line I've never had a problem with staining. We get it bad around here during the spring run off and I just live with it until May or so and then use Hull cleaner on the bottom. It's much eaisr to use hull cleaner once or twice a year than it is to put wax on the bottom

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another vote for Collonite....I have the cleaner wax and 920 I think it is.....Lasts a nice long time​