To Slip or Not to Slip ?

cnccustom

Seaman
I am Trying to decide if I want to slip my boat or just keep trailering it and keep it in a Storage space....Using a slip sounds really convienient but alot of hassles come along with it in Saltwater,hull cleaning every 2 weeks ,bottom paint every year,..

.is it worth it?.....is it even possible to do a freshwater flush while its in the water (Volvo Penta 280)

The Hull on my boat looks brand new and I don't think it will look that way in a couple mos. in a saltwater slip...by the way don't have the extra $ for a hydra hoist

any input appreciated from you guys that know

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: To Slip or Not to Slip ?

What is the matter with the trailer? If you keep it in the slip you will still need the storage space for the trailer.

cnccustom

Seaman

nothing wrong with trailer....could sell it to a friend

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Then how do you move your boat around ????

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if i were to use a wet slip, i would want a enclosed fresh water cooling system. if you use the boat 1-2 times per week, wet is ok, and cuts down on bottom growers. if you use it less frequently, keep it on the trailer.

cnccustom

Seaman

tashasdaddy said:
if i were to use a wet slip, i would want a enclosed fresh water cooling system. if you use the boat 1-2 times per week, wet is ok, and cuts down on bottom growers. if you use it less frequently, keep it on the trailer.

TD..Does anyone make such a unit....that is exactly what I was thinking...only thing I have come across is this

http://armoredhull.com/index.htm

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Probably a pain to dry store it but in my opinion keep storage out of the salt water.In salt maintenance goes way up.And electrolysis problems can be a nightmare.
Sometimes people have electrolysis problems in fresh water marinas.Imagine the odds in salt water.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Probably a pain to dry store it but in my opinion keep storage out of the salt water.In salt maintenance goes way up.And electrolysis problems can be a nightmare.
Sometimes people have electrolysis problems in fresh water marinas.Imagine the odds in salt water.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

every time you drop the gate, move the boat out, you exchange the water in the "pool". after the boat is out of the "pool" are going to blow it back up, till you come back in. if you believe this will work, i want to sell you some ocean front property in Arizona.

cnccustom

Seaman

I pretty much have my mind made up to keep trailering it...I guess I just wanted to hear it from you guys...thanks..

drewpster

Commander

The only advantage I can see to keeping a boat in a slip is how nice it is to be in the water. I own a trailer boat and a slip boat and I can tell I would trailer both if I could. If I owned a one ton truck and a trailer for my bigger boat I would never rent a slip again. Slips are nice if you have the cash, but a good easy loading trailer beats the expense in my view.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Same here (trailer boats and slip boat-s/b stays in for only 2 months). We have our own marina (private HOA), although a real witch with the salt, love to go down and sit in the big boat and watch others fly by using gas. I also have a VERY limited time that out boat launch is usable due to extreme tides heres in the south Puget Sound. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I have no problem with my trailer boat in for up to three weeks, as nothing gets a good hold, and a simple powerwash and good to go.

cnccustom

Seaman

Thanks Guys...Thats what I wanted to hear ,from someone thats been there done that.....Thanks again

shes gonna stay on the trailer.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Keep mine docked so that we can go out at a moments notice. Comes out and will trailer when we go north for the family cottaging vacation and for occasional weekends elsewhere. A quick power wash keeps her clean as nothing gets much of a hold in a few weeks, however i am not in salt water. Does cost more than trailering and dropping it in each time but the convenience of a 5 minute drive to the boat and being away in less than another 5 minutes is a huge bonus when time is limited (and our son uses the tow vehicle for work!!)

cnccustom

Seaman

kenmyfam said:
Keep mine docked so that we can go out at a moments notice. Comes out and will trailer when we go north for the family cottaging vacation and for occasional weekends elsewhere. A quick power wash keeps her clean as nothing gets much of a hold in a few weeks, however i am not in salt water. Does cost more than trailering and dropping it in each time but the convenience of a 5 minute drive to the boat and being away in less than another 5 minutes is a huge bonus when time is limited (and our son uses the tow vehicle for work!!)

I agree..if I was to keep it in freshwater it would be a no brainer ,really convienient to just jump in and go,..salt is a different story.......Thanks

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My Dad used to have a small sailing cruiser that he kept in salt all season in England. I remember his nightmares with maintenance on that !! Now I live in South west Ontario I have all kinds of fresh water around me and consider it a huge bonus. So does my Dad when he comes to visit. No tides and being able to go out whenever you feel like !!