To Repower or not from mercruiser 470 to ???

ssn756

Seaman
Here's what a have Mercruisere 470, yes I know all about the diverse opinions. should I fix what i have or look elsewhere :confused: This came out of a 73 2250 bayliner per the HIN. I think it might have been underpowered but I fix car not boats. Man are those some HUGE pistons. ahhhooooga.

100_1381.jpg

I've already pulled the head off in hopes of spinining the engine manually but still frozen I'm thinking a main bearing.

100_1373.jpg

the head was in actually good shape considering age, I believe this boat/engine was not properly stored which led to what I see. the bilge was 3/4 full of rain water and no telling how long.

100_1378.jpg

Top portion frozen lower unit moves freely

100_1386.jpg

Can I get by with replacing the studs or is it salvage?

100_1375.jpg

Last edited:

ssn756

Seaman
Re: To Repower or not????

100_1376.jpg

The top is frozen don't know why will pull apart this weekend. and yes the transom is shot.

Last edited:

ssn756

Seaman

Did I post in the right forum? Man I thought pictures would help a lot.:confused: :facepalm:

Hubboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did you try soaking the cylinders with Marvel, pull the oil pan?

The head doesn't look too bad, can't really see the cylinders tho. I am extremely optimistic when it comes to resurrecting things tho. That double cardian joint and outdrive teeth look rusty though. You could find a lower unit used somewhere tho if the engine ends up running.

This may be the forum for you
http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

belongs in i/o forum, not outboard

ssn756

Seaman

Did you try soaking the cylinders with Marvel, pull the oil pan?

The head doesn't look too bad, can't really see the cylinders tho. I am extremely optimistic when it comes to resurrecting things tho. That double cardian joint and outdrive teeth look rusty though. You could find a lower unit used somewhere tho if the engine ends up running.

This may be the forum for you
http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

I haven't.

After pulling the whole thing I've just been wondering if this thing is worth the trouble. I wonder if it's under powered/reliable. Figured id ask the guys with more experience than I do. I'm headed over there now. Thanks.

Here is a thread about that motor, interesting stuff, most says "run" though, lots of talk about over-heating. It's odd seeing an open deck design, alum. block and cast head too.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=374810

gonna check on that. I really would like to know the theory behind the design of this motor(fly on the wall). Thanks again.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Crap.... I thought that's where I was at maybe one of the Mods will move me and not just lock it.

Here you go, ssn. Good luck. :)

Bondo

Staff member

After pulling the whole thing I've just been wondering if this thing is worth the trouble.

Nope,... You've got Nothing to work with....

ssn756

Seaman

Nope,... You've got Nothing to work with....

I'm just getting that point to soak in, I junking the setup for scrap weight and looking for another boat. Oh well at least I didn't lose my lunch before I got decent advise.

ssn756

Seaman

The cylinder head is the best part, I also think the block is good but I haven't removed oil pan yet. I'll try parting out for funds towards my next boating venture since this one didn't pan out so good.

I really appreciate the honesty and saving me from needless work. I think I made a good choice in registering here. :D

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

LOL glad you didn't junk the motor. if you go over to e-bay and search "mercruiser 470" you can get an idea of what stuff might be worth. Good luck with your next project.:D