To replace foward gear or not?

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guy's

Took out my 25 rude last week ,and ran into the dreaded 5 logs in a row right down the middle of the river :facepalm: = Clutch dog gone. :eek:. So I dropped the skeg and took out the LU gears. Sure enough the dog was toast. After comparing it to another dog I realized that the PO screwed me. By taking a grinder to the dog ,and making it last just long enough to sell it to me:mad:. The dog was only 55$ so not that bad the rev gear is only 20$ ,but the forward gear is 150$ that I wont have for quite some time. While the dog was clearly dead the gears themselves don't look awful. to me it only looks like slight wear. So I know most times the normal response is if you change the dog to change the gears to. But I thought I would ask again with some pics and get you guys opinion. to see if this forward gear would last. Or if I should just await a few months and try and get the new forward gear to. Here's some pics. Thanks for any help/opinions.

clutch dog new and old.jpg2012-04-02 19.34.12.jpgfrwd gear 2.jpgfrwd gear 4.jpgfrwd gear 5.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: To replace foward gear or not?

The forward gear is toast and you need a new one. You might take it to a machine shop and see if they can re-surface it.

AlTn

Commander

had the dog and gear resurfaced on "ol salt" through a dealer here < $96 > and they worked fine. Neither looked as "banged up" as those and it was "jumpin' outta gear". The price of lower unit gears, bushings, cradles, etc, was an eye opener for me.

kfa4303

Banned

yeah a new set of gears for these old girls can take your breath away. It's amazing that the entire ability of the motor to move you forward comes down to those little tabs on the clutch. Without them, your motor will "run", but she won't "go". I think that's why newer gears and clutches went to a three dog set up. I just had to get an entire new gear set form my '66 20 hp. I thought it was gonna break the bank, but a guy on aomci.org contacted me after I posted a WTB ad, and I got and entire new set of gears (FWD & REV), prop shaft, PS bearing and clutch dog for WELL under $100 including shipping! His name is Bill from BLC Marine in Texas. He's clearing out his stock after 50+ years in the vintage outboard biz, and getting rid of stuff cheap. I was skeptical, but the parts arrived on time as described for the price he quoted. Can't beat that. Now I 'm just waiting on a seal kit from iboats. Then I'll post a LU rebuild How-To thread (if I can remember to take pics along the way:/).

P.S.
Anybody know of a good gear case sealant substitutes to 3M 847? Will Permatex Aviation and/or 1000 work?

AlTn

Commander

guessing Bill's phone is ringin' off the hook < not sure how that translates to cell phones >

kfa4303

Banned

Here's his info if anyone wants/needs it. However, I was mistaken about his name it's Bobby (not Bill) at BLC marine. Hope he doesn't mind me sending him some business his way :/

Bobby Chapman
blcinspec@aol.com (you know he's into all things vintage, he still uses AOL :) )
(713)-705-0664

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys will try Bobby or machine shops before I drop 150 for a new one.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have bought from him. He is very reasonable.

CCV, what is your model number? Dont pay $150 for one, thats crazy.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whats up Chris
18hp Johnson
model # Fd-13
Part# 378079

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Have you bought anything yet? Best bet would be to buy a parts motor with a blown powerhead or something.

Ill see if I can help if all you need is the gear.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool Thanks man
Yeah already have new clutch dog, And the rev gear is on ebay for 20 or so bucks no big deal. Almost every part I've needed for either motor I have has been on ebay, But not this forward gear. Parts motors aren't so easy to find here in Tenn. at least not where i'm looking I've looked in craigslist for the last few months just to see if i could find something reasonable to work on. They have been few and far between. I thought there would have been more ,but there's just not. Ive seen one motor that was old and said it was complete and not running for 100 bucks. other than that it's been an old motor not of brand name(rude johnson mer marinaer and such) or it's been a running motor for 300 to 600$. I'm not sure where else to look for older motors but I 'd like to be able to find some just to continue working on them.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The Antique Outboard Club. The BEST spot to buy a motor is at a swap meet. Check out the website, find a chapter near you and go on down on a Saturday, you'll thank me later.

www.aomci.org

Check out the webvertize section, in fact if I cannot find you a gear post a wanted ad there, the members will NOT charge you 150 bucks I guarantee it.