To replace crank or not to replace crank...

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so here is my story in a nutshell, I picked up a 20' Four Winns Sundowner for cheap.. it had a cracked block, more like a gaping hole, but anyways... So my engine is a Merc 190hp (470)... So I am in the process of tearing down the engine and getting a new block...<br /><br />ok the enging threw a piston, whick blew a 3" x 4" hole in the side of the block... everything else looks like is survived the event ok, the head, pistons, etc... <br /><br />BUT (isn't there always a but) :D <br /><br />there is some scaring on the crank shaft from where the piston rod hit the crank, and my question is, do I need to have it replaced? can it be repaierd/machined? the damage dosent look to horribly bad, but it looks bad enougght to want to get some opinions...<br /><br />
is.php
<br /><br />
is.php
<br /><br />
is.php

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: To replace crank or not to replace crank...

Take it a crank shop and see if it can be turned but I don't think so. Your pixs look pretty bad. You live Portland, I have a sister in So Portland.

Walt T

Lieutenant

yea? do ya call her f_insister?

f_inscreenname

Commander

If I did I dont think I wouldnt be able to type anymore. Plus she is the one with money in the family. She is in Maine and retaired at 50 and I live between Baltimore and DC and install floors with no retirement in site.

captkid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i will bring it to a shop, have them take a look, THANKS