To much oil

James46

Cadet
Is there a cam on a 40 hp Merc that controls the oil injection? Can the oil injector go bad and let in to much oil? Jim :confused:

Neikensnest

Cadet
Re: To much oil

I ditched the auto pump and just mix when I fill the boat. I'm careful to make sure that the ratio is perfect. I made myself a cheat sheet so no matter how much gas I put in I know what oil it needs.

James46

Cadet

I'm thinking of doing the same thing for one tank. How did you block off the oil tank? Sounds like you had the same problem I have. Too much oil....... Is the ratio 50 to 1 or 100 to 1 ???Jim Nell Iowa walleyeguy4life Thanks for the coome back..

Neikensnest

Cadet

Mine is 50:1 16 oz to 6.25 gallons. I totally remove the pump and electonics.

James46

Cadet

Rick what is your oppion of this post??? As you can see it was my question and problem . Jim

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I would do away with it, as was suggested. I did and have peace of mind that I'm sure I have the correct amount of oil going to the Engine. It's also one less thing to worry about breaking! Only is this one breaks, so does your Motor!! The less parts I have to worry about, the better off I am!

James46

Cadet

Thank You again. I'm going to do it today . Can I plug the oil hose and jump the wires for the alarm and be safe for today. Jim

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hi James,<br />I don't usually answer many post on Mercurys as I'm not as familiar with Mercury products as I am with OMC products. But to answer your question though; yes you will be safe to run your engine with premixed fuel. Evidently so many people didn't like the plastic gear running on a metal gear (the crankshaft) that Mercury even makes a cover plate for the block when the pump is removed. Let me say here though that the system is good if the engine is used a lot but the plastic gear tends to deteriorate, or become more brittle when left sitting around for long periods of time. All the above is hear-say except for the cover plate I have the part number for that.<br />Good luck and safe boating.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Jim, I'm not real Familiar with the wiring end of disconneting the oil injector. You may want to post something like: "Merc. Oil Injector Removal", under a new post and maybe others that have done it will reply. I didn't want to tell you to disconnect something and then your other warning horns don't work. You may also do a Search, at the top of the page, under Mercury Oil Injection. Should be able to see what others have done.