To get to the other side??

gaugeguy

Captain
Chicken Ticketed for Crossing the Road <br /><br />RIDGECREST, Calif. (AP) -- Linc and Helena Moore may have finally learned the answer to that age-old question: Why did the chicken cross the road? Because the chicken doesn't know jaywalking is illegal.<br /><br />Kern County Sheriff's Deputy J. Nicholson does know, however. The deputy issued a ticket March 26 because one of the couple's chickens allegedly impeded traffic in Johannesburg, a rural mining community near Ridgecrest, some 220 miles northeast of Los Angeles.<br /><br />The Moores were in Superior Court on Friday to plead not guilty. A trial was scheduled for May 16.<br /><br />Nicholson has declined to discuss the matter, but sheriff's Sgt. Francis Moore said chickens on the roadway have been a problem in the community of 50 residents. Officials didn't believe it could be resolved by simply issuing the couple a warning.<br /><br />"Sometimes you have to let people talk to the judge," Moore said.<br /><br />The chicken's owners say they believe they were cited because they were among several people who complained that sheriff's deputies haven't done enough to control off-road vehicle riders who create dust and noise in their neighborhood.<br /><br />Sheriff's officials say that isn't so, adding they are doing what they can to keep off-roaders away from homes.<br /><br />"The chicken thing has nothing to do with the motorcycle thing," Moore said.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
Re: To get to the other side??

How can a chicken impede traffic? You just smush the thing with a car then there's no impeding. I can't believe that people let something like that tie up traffic.... and swerve a good car into a ditch, tree, another car, etc, to miss a small animal...squirrel, rabbit, chicken, etc. Now a deer, moose, etc.. that would be a natural reflex to try to miss something that size.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A lot of folks will go to dangerous extent to avoid killing critters on the road. That includes many critters too small to damage the vehicle.<br /><br />Whatcha gonna do? Ticket the guy who slows or even stops to avoid killing the critter? Think of the circus that would occur if that happened. :D

ehenry

Commander

A chicken is a tough critter ! ! Back when I was a teenager I was working for a farmer and was pulling two loaded double tandem cotton trailers to the gin. You don't pull those things fast, 25 to 30 mph tops. Anyway, I was headed down the highway and there was a chicken bent on commiting suicide. It walked right out in front of me and I hit it. I heard it bumpin and thumpin under the truck. Then under the trailers. Looked in the side mirrors of the truck and that rascal was staggering around in the highway headed to the side of the road. When I came back with a couple empty trailers it was still out there walking around in the road. The Chicken was either suicidal or a thrill seeker.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

ef,<br />She was distraught cause someone had just stolen her eggs again, and she just couldn't handle it.<br /> :D <br /><br />I do know that in some countries, running over a chicken and killing it can have some SERIOUS cash ramifications. You have to pay the farmer back for the price of the chicken, the eggs it would have produced in the future and the chicks and the eggs they would have produced. I can't remember the country that this was in. I also won't vouch that it is still in effect. I heard the story many, many years ago.<br /><br />Could be an urban legend type also. <br /><br />AK Chappy