To fish or not to fish?

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
I live in Tallahassee, well out of the way of Charley.<br /><br />St. Marks Lighthouse is where I put in. The winds are only supposed to be 10 mph or less. I'll be less than 1 mile from shore when fishing.<br /><br />What height seas do 10 mph winds cause?<br /><br />I believe the winds were 10-15 mph last weekend and we were okay. I just don't remember for certain.<br /><br />My wife just said, "let'd take the kids fishing tomorrow"... :)

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: To fish or not to fish?

10 to 12 are about the max that most care to go out in especially when takeing the little ones. Its like a rule of thumb around here. Seas should be 2-3' at that wind speed.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It more so dependent of the body of water and the direction of the wind than the actual speed. Up here 10 mph and a wind direction with a “W” in it is typically the cats meow. <br /><br />The biggest problem you’ll have is when they forecast 10 mph winds and you get there and they are more like 20 mph winds. Pretty regular occurrence around this part of the country

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

We decided not to go, but thanks for the information. It was quite rough last weekend, but the boat really handled it quite well and did the kids. I don't know how fast the wind was blowing, although they were supposed to be 15-20. It was quite "breezy", but I doubt it got as bad as the weather dudes predicted.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

On the open water, in spite of the quiet winds,you may still find yourself in big mean waves that were created a thousand miles away.