To defuel or not to defuel: how stupid was this?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Filled up the other day, went through the automated "touchless" car wash, drove home and discovered that I left the fuel filler cap hanging there. It does have that little spring-loaded flapper thing over the opening but how much good could that do? Did I take on enough water to do any damage? I've burned over half the tank with no symptoms. What would you do (after kicking yourself in the butt; I've already done that)? :( :eek: :mad: :eek: :(

one more cast

Captain
Re: To defuel or not to defuel: how stupid was this?

I would dump in a can of dry gas and drive it, if it hasn't skipped a beat in a half tank of fuel then I would guess you didn't much if any water in the tank. But remember "that is what I would do" doesn't mean that is the right thing to do.<br /> p.s. have you ever heard the ad that says " drive your engine clean" :D

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

the water will sink to the lowest part of the tank so if you have any reservations, don't run the tank to empty...and maybe drain the tank after you get down to a comfortable level whereas there isn't so much fuel to lose.

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Change the fuel/water separator a couple times.

mattttt25

Commander

can of dry gas and top off the tank again.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br /> the water will sink to the lowest part of the tank so if you have any reservations, don't run the tank to empty...and maybe drain the tank after you get down to a comfortable level whereas there isn't so much fuel to lose.
So where do you think the fuel pick up tube is??? Do you think the pickup floats to the bottom of the tank as the fuel goes down??? :confused: <br /><br />If he hasnt had trouble yet, he aint gonna have trouble.<br /><br />Sorry, I have NO tact!!! :p

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

bit harsh lubedude, but I take your point ;)

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

bit harsh lubedude, but I take your point ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

:D :D SORRY :D :D <br /><br />Like I said, NO TACT! ;)