To cuddy or not to cuddy

redblur

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I'm new to boating. I've been out with friends, in the last year or two and I've used my father-in-law's and my brother's boat enough to know that I want one, and more importantly the family really seems to enjoy it. So I've been shopping. Ideally we wanted about an 18' open bow runabout, but everything I've seen is way too expensive for a hobby that we may find out just isn't for us, or is in way too rough of shape. I'm not afraid of a little maint since I do all my own car work and am pretty handly with snowmobiles, but I don't want to be left stranded with the wife and kids.<br /><br />Anyway, I've found a '86 19ft Ebb Tide Cuddy with a 4.3 that looks like it's in pretty good shape for a reasonable price. While a cuddy isn't what we origionally wanted, I've also been told by some boating friends that with small kids they're great (we have 4 1/2 year old twins) because if they get bored, tired, or sunburned, they can nap or play in the cuddy. We won't be "weekending" 95% of the time we'll be going out on local smaller lakes (southern Mn) doing a little fishing, pulling the tubes, maybe some skiing, etc. Maybe once or twice a year we'll take a run up the Mississippi.<br /><br />The only thing about the cuddy is that I'm a little afraid of it not doing well on some of the shallower lakes around here, and that maybe this just isn't the boat for what we plan on using it for.<br /><br />It looks like this particular model is pretty heavy. NADAguides.com list the weight as 2600lbs which seems a little heavy.<br /><br />I guess I'm just looking for some advise, pros and cons, etc. Since I've got such good help on the snowmobile forums I figured this is the right place to turn for boating advise.<br /><br />Thanks

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: To cuddy or not to cuddy

Hi redblur, welcome to iboats!!<br /><br />IMO, for an allround family boat, the cuddy is a good choice. It'll give the kids somewhere to nap, it'll provide rain shelter (murphys law - you WILL get caught in the rain) and it will provide an area for the most important piece of family boating equipment - the porta-potti. Don't laugh, ask your wife. ;) <br /><br />Aldo

redblur

Seaman Apprentice

Dunaruna, Thanks I'm not laughing. A porta potti is one of the selling points for the wife. She's got a bladder about the size of a pea.

Triton II

Commander

Hi redblur,<br />I've got a 16ft cuddy and my kids love it. We use it on our local river, on Botany Bay (which is pretty large but also shallow - down to 2ft in places) and when the weather's OK we go offshore a few nms and do things like a quick run from Botany Bay to Sydney Harbour and back with no problems at all (that's a good few hours at 20kts). <br />Although this is not entirely what you want to do in terms of where you go boating, I'm just letting you know that cuddy's are great - they're more versatile than bowriders and as Aldo says, they provide some shelter for your loved ones when the going gets rough or the weather turns nasty. 2600lbs is pretty light for a 19ft cuddy with an I/O, my 16 footer with a 60hp four-stroke outboard weighs about 1800lbs. Best of luck with your decision, but be assured cuddies are terrific! :cool: <br />There's a pic at the URL below if you want a look:<br /> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/Triton2004/FNAR.jpg

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's the wrong time of year to buy if you're stretching your budget. Why don't you freeload on your friends and relatives a few more months and buy in the fall. You should then be able to get a bigger, better or nicer boat for the same money.<br /><br />And, yes, cuddies are terrific for all the reasons mentioned above. Our very tiny cabin is used on absolutely every trip we go out.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Cuddy - Dry storage, sheltor from rain, porta-pottie and possibly nap area.<br /><br />Bow-rider - can fit more people comfortably.<br /><br />How many people will be on your boat? Make sure there is seating for everybody...<br /><br />I have a cuddy and really appreciated it when the "scattered" showers hit. Last time out...step-daughter took dramamine and ended up sleeping for 3 hours in cuddy. <br /><br />-JustMrWill

AntsGrady

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I enjoy the cuddy cabin to. My buddy has an 18' center console and it's a "WET" boat. Don't know what the conditions are by you but they can really kick up here in jersey. As far as the motor, be weary. When you by stern drives you have to check out a lot more then an outboard. I'm no mechanic but I do know this. Check the seals etc....I'm sure some of the guys on this forum could tell you some things to look at. Good luck!!

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome Red,<br /><br />I think that JustMrWill sumarized it quite well. No boat does everything, but a small cuddy is about as close as you can get to an all around boat. You can ski (and wakeboard if you must) behind it and it can also handle rough water for those times on Lake Pepin when the wind kicks up. A bowrider is nice to spread people out, but also adds another place to watch the little tikes.<br /><br />Did that answer you question? I didn't think so. Good luck and enjoy the water before the snow flies!

RichP1269

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cuddies are great for all the reasons listed above. Also comes in real handy for those overnite trips out on the lake. Not good for an extended stay, but sure beats draging along a tent for an overniter.

spartanpele

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The wife and I just bought a cuddy two weeks ago. We were like you and were looking for an open bow, and happen to come across a cuddy by accident. We haven't had it out yet, but already were thinking of the obvious assets, such as the bathroom situation, hiding from the elements (sun, wind, rain, cold), plus storing things in a dry area. The open bow is a bit more nimble I think and gives people room to move around, but I think the cuddy can be great if you have youngsters and need to keep an eye on them. As for the maintenance issue...by all means, have an experienced boating friend or mechanic look it over before buying it. If you're like 99% of the people who own a boat, you get rose colored glasses and go into "I want it mode" when looking at it...and can sometimes overlook expensive repairs.<br /><br />Enjoy!

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Don't worry about the draft of your cuddy to much.<br />The 19' cuddy I have floats in less water than my 17' bowrider. I use mine mainly for fihing but the boat works great for tubing knee boarding and sking also.<br />If the boat fits your budget go for it!

swist

If this is a walkaround cuddy, and you have small kids, make sure the depth of the walkaround is adequate (some are quite shallow) for safety. When my kids were small they had a great time being able to circle around the boat, and the cabin was a savior for all the reason cited previously.<br /><br />Of course in a small boat nothing comes for free - the helm area loses a lot of beam to the walkways. My boat is a 24' Proline with unusually deep and wide walks, which puts the two helm seats practically on top of each other - you really have to squeeze through when two people are seated there to get to the companionway door.

ScottieinNC

Seaman

We love ours, not too big, not too small. Handles well, wish it was a true walkaround, have to go through windshield to access bow for anchoring but working on a windlass and roller for the anchor. <br />Don't jump on anything too soon, as you won't be happy. Try to go out and ride on boats you are consdidering.<br />All the above reasons are excellent suggestions, especially about having an enclosed head. An abosulte neccessity with women on board.<br /><br />Good luck!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

On the other side of the coin often the cabin does wind up in being used for storage space at the expense of cockpit space.

kyboatgirl

Cadet

Just bought a cuddy about a month ago. very nice to stay out on the water and believe it or not, the "cabin" stays really cool with the hatch open during the day, so it's a great place to get out of the sun for a while, and not burn up in there. <br /><br />I am still new to boating, so my trouble may be because of that, but the ONLY thing the husband and I have a problem with is anchoring. You have to climb up on the front (ours does not have railing) and drop anchor there. It's a little nerve racking when it doesn't catch and the husband is sitting up there with the anchor and i have to keep backing up/going forward/etc. <br /><br />But other than that it's a nice boat! And once we get a better anchoring plan, I'm sure it will go more smoothly. Best of luck!

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

I've had both. The kids liked the cuddy as long as the boat is moving and air was flowing through the hatch but when you stop the temperature in there goes through the roof and it's not a very comfortable place to nap. I mostly used it to store stuff and I told everyone that whoever used the porta potte had to clean it. So in over two years of boating the potti was never used.<br /><br />I now have a open bow and like it. I thought I would miss the cuddy but the boat has plenty of room to store stuff and a lot more room to move around. <br /><br />Whichever you get I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

kyboatgirl - try dropping anchor over side...get it to catch then go out on bow to tie off. I find this is easier then trying to set while on bow.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

stevens

Kyboatgirl - how about an anchor windlass? Push a button and down it goes. Push another, and up it comes. Makes everyone more relaxed about the whole thing. Seems to cost around $3-400 or less in the US. Well worth it if anchoring is a pain for you without it. Makes it unnecessary to venture up on the fore deck at all.