To charge or not to charge

sbump26

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought a deep cycle battery from Academy for trolling motor. Do I need to charge before use or use it as is? I connected to trolling motor and it didn't work. Checked the voltage with meter and no volts. If I charge it, should I use the convetional automatic setting or the manual setting and unplug an hour later?

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: To charge or not to charge

Sbump<br />Charge it as soon as you get it home, and right before you go. Also charge it as soon as you get home. Just use a good automatic charger. Charge at least one time a month all year if you use it or not. Never discharge your deep cycle below 50 percent.

sbump26

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Boatist. I just put it on the charger on conventional automatic. I will check it in about an hour and see what the amps meter says. Right now it is on about 8 amps.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Take it back.<br /><br />They sold you a dead battery. You might be able to get it to charge but it is never going to hold a full charge. It's haveing set in a state of total discharge for some period of time has reduced its capacity. Take it back. Take it back. Take it back. It might not hurt to be a bit angry at whoever tried to give you this screwing too.<br /><br />Thom

wezie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If it is not a sealed battery, check and add distilled water.<br />Most have enough to operate, but not enough!

Drowned Rat

Captain

Agree with ThomWV. Take it back. Do not waste your time with this battery. It will never give you 100%. If you put a voltage meter on it and it read 0, the battery is toast.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Sbump<br />8 amps very normal for a short time if you are useing a 10 to 15 amp charger. Most store like Wallmart, Kmart, Cosco, Sam clubs never charge the batteries in the store. However it charge to near zero and then hold that charge. Alway a good idea to check the water level if it is not sealed. Add distilled to the eye. I check mine twice a year.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

...sounds like a dud to me! I've never even heard of a new, uncharged battery. I've bought a car battery from Walmart and numerous other batteries over the years from other places and they were always charged. <br /><br />DO charge your battery full after every outing. Any new wet cell battery should be put on an automatic charger before use. Charge full after every use. <br /><br />Aren't all decent batteries maintenance free these days? Why buy one that you have to check the level and add water? <br /> <br />Also, I try to buy my batteries where there is a good turnover of product. I don't need to spend top dollar on a battery that was sitting around for a few years.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here's a little history for you.<br /><br />Not to many years (60's~70's) ago all lead/acid batterys were sold dry. By that I mean that they had no electrolite in them. When you bought a battery you generally had two choices in your purchase. First; you could have the electrolite added by the dealer, in which case they would then put it on a charger for a couple of hours before you took the battery, or more likely before they installed it for you. Second; you could take the dry battery home with you, along with a container full of battery acid, and add the acid yourself and then charge it before you used it. An awful lot of extra battery acid was dumped on yards or down stormwater sewers in those days.<br /><br />The reasons manufacturers sold batterys that way was that self discharge was a much more serious problem with the old rubberized cases than the plastic ones they use today and the caps leaked like burlap sacks. Trying to ship a battery with the juice in it was an invitation for disaster. <br /><br />Now days virtually all batterys sold in the general retail outlets are sold wet. They are filled with electrolite and charged at the factory and then shipped. There are some batterys that are still sold dry, but in fact even those have some electrolite in them, I am told.<br /><br />Batterys still self discharge of course. I have been given a bunch of different numbers for the rate, but all of them come in somewhere between 1% and 3% per month. I am inclined to believe the higher number. Fully charge a brand new battery and then set it on a shelf for a couple of years and it will go completely dead. Let it set on a shelf for a couple of months and it will loose some charge.<br /><br />It is because they self discharge that you should always look at the date stamp on the battery to see when it was manufactured. You did look didn't you? I know guys who buy a lot of batterys that won't touch one that is over 3 months old. The reason is pretty straight forward. <br /><br />The two things that kill more batterys (other than gel cells) more often than anything else are owners who don't keep the electrolite level up and batterys that are left in a state of partial discharge. Doing either of those things - letting it run dry or letting it sit half dead - will absolutly kill a battery beyond saving. <br /><br />The battery you bought should have had very close to a 100% charge the moment you took it off the shelf. To be 100% discharged, or anywher near it, it had to have either internal damage or have sat on a shelf for a very long time. If it has internal damage then you bought a dud and it should go back. If it was totally discharged - unless you used a time machine to have gone back 30 years to buy it - then it was damaged beyond repair (recharging successfully) during its time on the shelf.<br /><br />That is why I said take it back. If you decide to recharge it, and you are successful, and then use it you should start saving your money right now for a replacement, because that thing isn't going to get you half way though the summer.<br /><br />I'm just trying to make this clear to you and anyone else who finds themselves in a similar situation. Take that battery back. You got screwed on the sale. Whenever possible try to buy your batterys from a place that has a high turnover. I am no great fan of Wally World, but they do in fact have that high turnover. That's why I recommend their batterys so often, that and the fact that they are made by Johnson Controls, the same people who make the exact same batterys sold under a bunch of different names, usually at much higher prices. It is very difficult to find a battery on the rack at a Wall Mart that is over about 3 months old. The same can not be said for a lot of automotive parts stores or private dealers.<br /><br />Thom

18rabbit

Captain

A lot of batteries, especially expensive ones and really big ones, are shipped dry for reasons Thom stated and to save shipping weight.<br /><br />If you purchase a dry battery, it is recommended you wait a couple days after you (or the store) adds the electrolyte for the soup to equalize. Never read the complete details of the mechanics of this…never bought a dry battery…but supposedly it can take up to a week for the electrolyte to stabilize and then a couple charge/discharge cycles after that for the battery to reach max capacity. Don’t know what is supposed to happen if you charge early…can’t imagine any damage from it…may be under capacity?<br /><br />I strongly second Thom’s recommendation. Something is really wrong when you get a battery that is completely dead. There is definitely damage done to the cells. Take it back, don’t accept any excuses…and don’t accept any offer from the retailer to charge the battery for you, either. The damage is already done.<br /><br />What to do with excess electrolyte/battery acid? Dilute it with water and spray it on your lawn. The grass will love the sulfur. Some people add it to drip irrigation systems in their vegetable gardens, too. DILUTED!!! :)