To buy or not to buy old Evinrude

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Friend wants to sell what turns out is a 1968 Evinrude 55, model 55873R for a good price. He's had it for a few years and never had a boat that he used it on-he's always had i/o's like I used to. He did have it on a stand last fall running and looked to be working properly. Its always been fogged and oiled down. It turns over, has good compression, the carbs are cleaned and working properly, but there currently is no spark. Did some checking and looks like it needs a new amplifier after not getting a reading with the ohmmeter from it. Question is they still sell new amplifiers for this year model (it isn't cheap) but what about other wear parts for something this old? Are they still made and available? I'm thinking if I can get a few summers of boating out of this old o/b I will be happy. Am I asking for more parts chasing headaches than its worth?

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: To buy or not to buy old Evinrude

I say go for it...most parts are still available. I have a 62 Lark Electric Shift and would not trade it for anything. Been very reliable and will probably go for another 40+ years...or until parts are no longer available... :)

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

My only concern would be the hydro-electric shift lower unit, parts are expensive and getting hard to find.
Personally I love the electric shift lower units but they can be tough to repair.

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you know what was the last year for this version of the hydro-electric shift lower unit? I ask because if I could find a matching parts motor I'd feel a little better about committing to this one.

And I thought finding parts for my old OMC i/o was tough lol.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im not sure but can do some research. Im sure F_R or others could help you out. I can tell you this..try calling Fairwinds Marina in Annapolis Maryland....they have tons of NOS parts and service these old motors...they could tell you all you want to know about your motor. Super nice guys.

float2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Fairwinds looks like a great parts source! I wish I knew about them when I was looking for parts for my old OMC 800, my google searches a few years ago never landed on them.

I don't expect anyone to do research for me just wondered if anyone knew off the top of their head. I will ask Fairwinds when I call them. I appreciate the info!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I think the last year for the hydro-electric shift was in 1972.