To buy or not to buy? Advice, please!

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm going to look at a 1977 Evinrude 55 hp tonight. It has no prop. The guy says it was on a boat last year and running fine. I can pick it up for $200 or less. Since I've never owned a Rude before, can anyone tell me what to check/look for? How will I know it's really a 1977? Should I buy it if he's not able to fire it up for me? Seems to me that's a very good price, no matter which way you look at it. Any sound advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: To buy or not to buy? Advice, please!

Here is a link to the 77 model numbers......they start with the 55.....only two. Ask about water pump,,,,when replaced,,,,look over coils.....stop by a auto parts store and borrow a compression tester and test compression......they should be within 10 psi. of each other no matter what the number. Look at wiring and check play on the prop shaft.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1977/parts.html

strtbobber

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a link to the 77 model numbers......they start with the 55.....only two. Ask about water pump,,,,when replaced,,,,look over coils.....stop by a auto parts store and borrow a compression tester and test compression......they should be within 10 psi. of each other no matter what the number. Look at wiring and check play on the prop shaft.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1977/parts.html

Thanks Cofe! The model numbers shown are only for 55's? Sorry, I'm not quite clear about what you meant.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

5572d
5573d
55 is horsepower....

Best way to tell what you are working with are the compression numbers.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

What a steal.....is it a fresh water motor?