To build or not to build

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I currently live in West Centeral Illinois, and I am thinking of starting a prodject.... Building my own boat. #1.. What are the best designs for i/o type custom hulls? #2.. Where should I start? #3.. what would be the best size for river travel? (Mississippi) #4.. Should I consider myself insane for asking these questions?. <br /><br />My BIG picture in this is to have a boat that can travel from IL. to Crystal River, Florida. :)

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: To build or not to build

I'm not sure if you have seen this website or not<br /><br /> http://egyptian.net/~raymacke/ <br /><br />If you haven't clear your schedule make a few pots of coffee and sit down and enjoy.<br /><br />A remarkable site. All the info you would probably want to know about your potential project.

Tufan

Petty Officer 1st Class

that really is a remarkable site.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Lots of bargain boats out there, in the 20 to 30' range, that would make great project boats. My thinking is that it may be much easier to rebuild and customize something, than to start from scratch.

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class

racer, thanks for that site...makes me want to scratch build one even more... but I still am asking what size should I build...I have 3 girls and a "nag" (wife) that love boating... glen-l has soo many wonderful plans..but what size..

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well I have an idea of what type I should build, (glen-l's "party boat") now here is a good question... I want to "glass" the hull, but, I have not got much experience with fiberglass... Was wondering if I should use standard fiberglass or that new carbon fiber cloth i have heard soo much about. They say it is 5 timesstronger than fiberglass and can be applyed in the same manner. Is this true, or are they trying to "blow smoke" up my pipes? your help will be appreaciated in this decision. I hope to have the "planning" finished by december. cant rush these things and it IS my first attempt to build my own.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

The Party Boat is a Plywood boat. This means that it is the wood that gives the boat stucture and strength. The fiberglass on the outside is there for resistance to abbrasion and to seal the hull and that is about it. It is not worth using carbon fiber. However, if building something that is not supported by wood or some thing else carbon fiber is probably the strongest, lightest material ever devised.<br /><br />If the type of boat you are looking for is like the Party Boat at lest consider finding and older used boat that may need some work to get seaworthy. You will save a huge amount of time and probably money also. An older deck boat that has seen better days should be nearly free and with a little work you can have a nice boat.

phatmanmike

Captain

build !!!!<br /><br />ask anybody on here who has built there own, and youll never hear them say,"gee, i wish i would have just found a used boat instead!"

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Greetings SR68<br /><br />The advice of restoring a used boat is much easier and faster than building from scratch.<br /><br />NOt wanting to start a flap over spam , I have an aluminum hull and trailer that is going to be scrapped soon. The hull is like new. If alum. has not corrided then is it not like new. Build it from the hull up to suit you needs. A light alum boat will run faster on less fuel and horsepower.<br />I have the boat listed on the old Crestliner site .<br /><br /> http://www.retrocrestliner.com/Crestliner Classifieds.htm <br /><br />Then scroll down near the bottom.<br />Additional contact info is on that site.<br /><br />Fitz.

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the input guys, but I think I will build. The main reason is that 2 of my 3 daughters really want to do this prodject. They are country girls and strong willed like thier mom. lol. but if it were just me doing this for myself I dont think I would pass the chance to restore. I am currently planning to spend @ 2 years to "get it together" so my kids can learn all about woodworking and building. This prodject is more for them.<br /><br />Thanks Again for the input and ideas, Will keep you posted!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Starrider,<br /><br />I'm wondering if you have gotten anywhere with the project yet?<br /><br />I have been looking through another boat plan website.<br /><br /> http://www.boatplans-online.com/index.php <br /><br />They have some very nice boats. They seem to be a bit more modern than Glen-L. <br /><br />I have my eye on the CX19-C19 Express cruiser.

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went there and found a set of plans I really liked...but... I had allready spent the 150.00 on glen-l plans. currently waiting on plans to arrive. I will keep yall posted as to how it is going. My middle daughter cant wait to see the plans, she is "hyper" to do this prodject with her dad. lol. she is studying fiberglass subjects on the internet. she really wants this and I cant blame her. I love spending time with my daughters, and this prodject will give me the excuse to take time off for / with them.

starrider_68

Petty Officer 3rd Class

CHARACTERISTICS <br />Length overall 20'-6" or 22'-4" <br />Beam 8'-3" <br />Hull depth 3'-8" <br />Hull weight (approx.): 1500 lbs. <br />Displacement @ 11" designed waterline 3100 lbs. <br />Cockpit Length, seat back to seat back: 13'-9"<br />Width, maximum: 7' <br />Passengers 8 <br />Hull Type: Vee bottom 15o hard chine hull developed for sheet plywood. <br />Power: Single or twin outboard motors; long or extra-long shaft for single, extra-long for twins. Optional power stern mounted inboard/outboard, v-drive or jet pump optional but not detailed. <br />Can the hull be extended or shortened? Not beyond the lengths listed. We do not recommend increasing the beam. <br />Trailer: For use with Glen-L Series 3800 trailer plans. <br /> <br /><br />PARTY BOAT, deck boat, fun boat, call it what you will. It's a spacious wide open cockpit sitting atop an efficient hull. Pack it with passengers and take off to a remote area for picnics. Tow water skiers? Right on, and there is plenty of room for kibitsing passengers. Fishing? Sure, add a trolling motor and equip the bow deck with a chair and you're set up for some wicked fly, bass or walleye chasing... and catching?<br /><br />I chose this one by Glen-l.

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

kibitzing - Pronunciation Key (kbts)<br /><br /> 1. To look on and offer unwanted, usually meddlesome advice to others.<br /> 2. To chat; converse.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The guy at that site is obviously a master woodworker and has the tools and workshop to match. He is also obviously a perfectionist and the hours he has spent doing and then redoing attest to that.<br /><br />I would love to build a boat but I look at that project as an example of doing it really right and realize that I have neither the skills, equipment, time, nor (and most importantly) the right attitude: <br /><br />I have built houses from scratch - yet this is so different, and requires a whole different attitude toward fit and finish, that I'm not sure it's in me.