To antifoul or not to....

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To antifoul or not to antifoul...<br /><br />Last year didn't, and boy did the bottom get covered in goop!<br /><br />This year, thinkin it may be a good idea..<br /><br />What is the proper procedure for this process? Is it just as simple as brush, or spray on? Do I need to avoid the bellows?<br /><br />And if do I need to remove the boat from the trailer? and if so how does one accomplish this on his driveway?<br /><br />Boat is a 1984 19 foot Doral. With a 3.8l V6 OMC Stringer drive.<br /><br />Thanks for your help

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: To antifoul or not to....

If you're leaving the boat in the water, then I would paint it......there are different types of anti-fouling paints available, all have different characteristics and application instructions. Any good marine dealer or store can point you in the right direction. as far as getting the boat off the trailer......there are different methods to accomplish the feat, I personally let the marina handle that choir, some marinas will put the boat on stands for a charge and let you do the work (mine does)...i'm sure someone else will chime in and give you some tips...good luck

jch7450

Petty Officer 1st Class

painting while on the trailor,(simple)<br />We do it all the time. if your trailor has rollers.<br /> paint the bottom, let it dry about a day or so.<br /> then just let out about a foot of cable from the winch(make sure it locked then) with the help of a few friends you should be able to rock the boat back enough to paint where the rollers touch the boat, when dry just crank it back up again.

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahhh, my trailer is not a roller trailer.. Had thought about jacking up one side paint it, and then the other.

tommays

Admiral

on the other hand how hard is it to pull out on the trailer and clean it a few times during the season<br /><br />Bottom paint is forever :) <br /><br />tommays

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well right now the bottom is fairly clean, but rough to the touch. How does one go about makin her smooth again? <br /><br />At present I just power wash it with cold or hot water. Must be a product out there that I can spray, wipe, etc... on to remove the rough stuff?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by tommays:<br /> on the other hand how hard is it to pull out on the trailer and clean it a few times during the season<br /><br /> :) <br /><br />tommays
Those are words spoken by many and all have regretted it.Just a few days too long in the water unprotected and its not a simple cleanup any more.It sure sounds like a good idea at the time though.

tommays

Admiral

Ya but were talking fresh water VS saltwater at least i think we are :) <br /><br />Cause i cant believe the boat would have even moved after a season in salt !<br /><br />tommays

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup, Boat sits in Lake Ontario. Wouldn't call it "fresh" water, but it's not salt!<br /><br />Anyways, whay product do you recomend to wash the hull with?

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a product out there called "ON OFF" works excellent if all you have is a medium to light growth... (nothing to crusty) Its acid based so you need a resperator but it is a spray on and let stand, and then hose off type product...