To all of us who survived- Congrats!

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Subject: TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE 1930s 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s<br /><br />First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while<br />they carried us.<br /><br />They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and<br />didn't get tested for diabetes.<br /><br />Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright<br />colored lead-based paints.<br /><br />We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or<br />cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, elbow or knee<br />pads, not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.<br /><br />As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.<br /><br />Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special<br />treat.<br /><br />We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.<br /><br />We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE<br />actually died from this.<br /><br />We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with<br />sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE<br />PLAYING!<br /><br />We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we<br />were back when the streetlights came on.<br /><br />No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.<br /><br />We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride<br />down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running<br />into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.<br /><br />We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at<br />all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound,<br />no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat<br />rooms... WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!<br /><br />We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no<br />lawsuits from these accidents.<br /><br />We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live<br />in us forever.<br /><br />We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with<br />sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we<br />did not put out very many eyes.<br /><br />We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or<br />rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!<br /><br />Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who<br />didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!<br /><br />The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard<br />of.<br /><br />They actually sided with the law!<br /><br />Our generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem<br />solvers and inventors ever!<br /><br />The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.<br /><br />We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned<br />HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!<br /><br />And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!<br /><br />Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't<br />it?!<br /> :D Bassy

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: To all of us who survived- Congrats!

You said a mouthful there Bassy. How will the current generation ever survive and what is to become of the next ?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

All too true!

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Some of us made it despite Thalidomide(sp) ;)

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

Bassy, just the way I remember it all!

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bassy as a child of the seventies I must say you hit the spot !!! good post!

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seen that before Bassy, but it seems more true now than ever. I was a child of the 50's into the 60's very good to see so many agree!!!!!!!!!!

KaGee

Admiral

36_1_11.gif

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Yes we survived all that AND the things that nobody talks about AND it made us STRONG!!!!<br /><br />>>>>>>>HAPPY BOATING<<<<<<<

D

DJ

Good show Bassy. Right on.<br /><br />We're feeling so guilty about killing 40 million + kids (abortion) we tend to coddle the ones we decided to keep.<br /><br />Personally, I think we're raising a generation of pansies.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I purposely let my kids do a few of these things. I wont make my son wear a bicycle helmet. He owns a BB gun, and a bow and arrow, and a slingshot.<br /><br />I plan on building a go-cart this summer.<br /><br />He cant play video games when it is nice outside (my rule).<br /><br />I wish I lived in a better neigborhood with stuff to do like I had when I was growing up. I had a creek in my backyard and I lived in that thing when I was young.<br /><br />Ken

NYMINUTE

Captain

Sometimes we even drank out of the same Pepsi bottle, and we are still alive.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Exactly, Bassy!<br /><br />You forgot tons of home-made ice cream loaded with real cream, refined sugar, etc.<br /><br />Also, we thought the "good life" only required food and shelter.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Good post Bassy! There still are some children brought up that way here in the states. They belong to the Amish...... :D I have lots of respect for their lifestyle.

LubeDude

Admiral

I did all of those things and then some, We never ever thought about shooting anyone or did damage to anyone elses property. Hey, I even played with explosives. I played with mercury all the time, had it all over my hands, rolled it around, took it to school, gave my friends some too, shinned up nickles, all the bad stuff. Can you imagine what would happen if a kid got caught in school today with a vile of mercury on him? He*l, they would shut down the school. Helped my dad make lead sinkers for surf fishing, cut and filed off the excess led from the mold, I mean a lot. Why am I not dead, or at least sick???

Link

Rear Admiral

Saw this before and saw when you posted.. but today it just sorta hit home. Good post

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br />Can you imagine what would happen if a kid got caught in school today with a vile of mercury on him? He*l, they would shut down the school.
It's funny you would say that LD, because we recently had that exact situation happen here in my hometown, and that's exactly what they did!<br /><br />It started on the bus, a student brought a vial of mercury, and it made it's way into the school. They evacuated the school, and several personel in full biohazard suits were ushering students through a chemical shower. The school was shut down for a week. Cleanup costs were estimated at about $100,000<br /><br /> http://www.rgj.com/news/stories/html/2004/01/08/61008.php?sp1=rgj&sp2=umbrella&sp3=umbrella&sp5=RGJ.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by wilkin250r:<br />
It's funny you would say that LD, because we recently had that exact situation happen here in my hometown, and that's exactly what they did!<br /><br />
Figures, what a total waist of money.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

wilkin, that is truly pathetic.<br /><br />Mercury metal is OK, its the mercury salts that are dangerous.<br /><br />These enviromental companies have made a bundle over all this stupidity.<br /><br />Same with asbestos.<br /><br />Ken

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> <br /><br />Same with asbestos.<br /><br />Ken
Are you serious? If you're reffering to blue then I think thousands of lung cancer patients would disagree. <br /><br />Aldo