tm wiring question

jrc27

Seaman
just got a new motorguide 67lb motor.(24 volt) the previous motor was an omc 12/24 volt.. my question is this.. it came with a 4 prong plug and the one on the boat is a 3 prong.. my batteries are run in parallel i believe..(no jumper on the batteries) the new motor is 2 wire the old is 3.. i switched to the 3 prong plug and did this.. hooked up the ground and tried the positive in both of the 2 remaining slots.. got a higher more powerful speed out of the one than the other.. would this be correct to hook it up this way??

4strokesrule

Recruit
Re: tm wiring question

I would suggest removing the current wiring from the batteries and plugs. Then hooking a jumper from the positive of battery #1 to the negative of Bat #2. Then using the existing wiring connect the neg of Bat #1 and the pos of bat # 2 to the trolling motor plug yielding 24 volts. You only need 2 wires at the plug if it is a 24 volt only motor. If there is a 12-24 volt selector switch mounted in the hull it is a different story unless you bypass it. It is a good idea to run a circuit breaker in the wiring as close to the battery as possible in case there ever was a short in the wiring. Beats a burnt boat!

ebbtide176

Commander

so how has it been doing? sounds like you found the best wire :D <br /><br />too many people stress over electrical stuff. not that its unimportant, just that its often a source of unwarranted stress... good luck<br /><br />not to make it seem unimportant, but just to remind you the wires & devices are the safe part, the connections are the places of concern, for most applications. if in doubt, keep asking. you've luckily found a place to ask questions :D lol

jrc27

Seaman

so far so good.. although i did kick the breaker on the battery connection twice on high power..

ebbtide176

Commander

hmm, you might want to make sure the connections at the TM plug, and to battery aren't getting really hot. what size circuit breaker? did you get a wiring diagram with the TM? i'm really not sure how the 4wire hookup is supposed to be wired. now i'm curious :D <br /><br />wait a minute! its a 2 wire TM, and you should be able to look at the colors behind the plug socket, then find out how they are connected at the battery.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like u r stressed, ebb. This too shall pass. :p