Tires question

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I recently bought a 1996 Monterey 180 SCR and the trailer tires needs to be replaced. They are 205 75 14 I think. Anyway could I replace them with regular car tires or do they have to be trailer tires?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tires question

They should be trailer tires. . .ST.

mattpyle

Seaman

I would certainly recommend trailer tires. If you absolutely HAD to use car (or I should say truck) tires...make sure they're rated for well above the weight of the boat, trailer, and all your gear.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

Definately use a trailer rated tire! The side wall on car tire is not as stiff so in transit you could realise a lot of trailer sway from the wheels. And as stated before, a trailer tire will have a much higher load carrying capacity.

FYI the Good Year Marathon is an excellent long life tire. They cost a few bucks but it's worth it.

LIQUID PROZAC

Petty Officer 1st Class

the size you gave sounds like a passenger car tire but i would look for a trailer tire comparable

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i would get ST tires. those are a common trailer size, i have em as well. Im buying new ones soon, they will be ST tires as well. at the most, a good tire is about $75, thats not too bad seeing how you dont have to replace them very often.