tires? P or ST

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. I'm back.<br /><br />So I've purchased (at a bargain price) a double axle LoadMaster trailer. Just needs some refurbishing and it'll be good as new.<br /><br />First off, it needs 3 new tires. Where I am located (Central America) it's difficult to find reasonabley priced marine parts. I can purchase the ST205/75D14 w/o Rim for about $120. OR I can purchase P205/75R14 w/o Rim for 82.50<br /><br />Now I know that P = Passenger and ST = Trailer and there is a difference but, the guy at the tire store assures me that the P tire will work just fine on my trailer. <br /><br />What do you think? Is it worth the extra $$$ to purchase the ST tires?

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer
Re: tires? P or ST

How far do you trailer? If it's just short distances, and infrequently, I suppose you could save the money.<br /><br />If it were me, I'd foot-over the extra $. If you got the trailer at a bargain price, use the money saved to do-it right. And, I'd do all 4, using the one that you don't NEED to replace, as a spare.

Bondo

Staff member

It's Much More Important to get a Weight Rating High Enough for Your Loads...........<br /><br />It's stamped on the side of Every Tire....

TilliamWe

Banned

Now I know that P = Passenger and ST = Trailer and there is a difference
The difference will be the weight rating. The Trailer tire will have a MUCH higher rating.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Now I know that P = Passenger and ST = Trailer and there is a difference but, the guy at the tire store assures me that the P tire will work just fine on my trailer.
Then why do the manufacturers bother to make an ST tire? Think about it. :rolleyes: <br /><br />ST tires are built differently, they are narrower and have stiffer sidewalls to reduce sway. You can confirm this by searching tire manufacturer's websites. And don't buy three, replace all four and keep the good one as a spare.

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why does it say, "Not for passenger car use" on ST tires, but it doesn't say "Not for trailer use" on passenger car tires?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

ST tires are built stiffer to cut down on sway and also are more bruise resistant to allow for bumping into curbs and such. They have a higher load capacity for their size than a P rated tire, more similar to an LT tire with a 50 psi max inflation pressure. Some say you can use LT tires on trailers, but I would just use what is specified since you don't want to try to save money on what your whole investment is riding on.<br />BTW, I have had good luck with Load Star bias ply ST trailer tires. <br />See www.championtrailers.com<br /> for an article on why you should use ST tires.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Like you said P-tires are passanger tires. You also posted tire size P205 75R 14. The R stands for Radial. A soft side wall P radial allows for a larger foot from the tire. Downfall, tandem axle trailer, larger footprint, softer sidewall, and possibly heavy load on trailer, in tight turns while backing or towing tires have ben known to break loose from the rim. Radial tires dont slide on pavement as easy as bias tires do. Certin equipment is made for certin equipment. Spend the xtra.

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

.. but the guy at the tire store assures me that the P tire will work just fine on my trailer. <br /><br />Just guessing, but I bet the guy at the tire store had plenty of "P"s, but few "ST"s.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Old Curmudgeon:<br /> .. but the guy at the tire store assures me that the P tire will work just fine on my trailer. <br /><br />Just guessing, but I bet the guy at the tire store had plenty of "P"s, but few "ST"s.
Most likely had no "ST"s. Best bet is a trailer, marine, or RV center.