Tires getting hot?

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bringing home my new to me boat today I noticed the tires getting awfully warm. The hubs got warm but not hot by anymeans. The tires were alot hotter than the hubs.

What could cause this?

Tires has 55-60psi in them. Rated for up to 80psi.

Could they need more air? They were not "bagging" any. They looked really good.

Thanks!

Mike M.
Richmond, VA

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tires getting hot?

Could they need more air?........good possibility since under inflation causes tire sidewall flex which increases temp. How much weight are you carrying? and what are the tires weight rating at the max pressure?

redfury

Commander

Under inflation will give your tires fits as mentioned above. Your tires must be rated for up to 900lbs per tire at max psi? I've just put new ones on my small aluminum boat and ran them up to 70psi. You don't need to max out the pressure, but you should keep it towards the top value. If you over inflate the tire, you'll find that the trailer will want to "walk" behind you as you pull it more, and it'll sway if they are under inflated.

The tires should never be hotter than the hubs.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tire pressure is the # 1 cause of tire failure. keep them inflated to the recommended pressure. trailer tire are built totally different than vehicle tires. be sure you have ST (trailer tires).

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

An 80 psi rating suggests you have 5.3-12 load range C tires (1050 lbs max load each at 80 psi). These also come in load range B (850 lbs max load at 55 psi). The higher load rating of the LRC version is a result of its ability to hold more air, so at 55 psi, the load capacity will be reduced to ~850 lbs each. All that heat also represents wasted fuel, so air up those tires.

If you don't want to run that much pressure, you can replace the bias type 5.30-12 tires with ST145/80B12 (bias belted) or ST145/80R12 (radial) tires. These have higher load ratings at lower pressures, along with lower rolling resistance (less heat, less fuel consumption).

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update!!

Well, it is no suprise to me that you guys are right again! After bumping up the tires to within 5psi of their rated limit. The hot tire symptoms have dissappeared. It also tracked better with less sway.

Thanks Again!

Mike M.
Richmond, Va